1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Physics B self study?

Tags:
  1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    Hello

It has come to my attention that the AP Physics B test is being replaced with AP Physics 1 and 2 for the 2014/15 school year. I'm currently a junior in high school enrolled in a CP Physics course, and I had planned to take AP Physics B in my senior year. However, with these changes, I obviously don't have two years to take both the AP Physics classes (assuming my school will continue to fund these classes).

Also, I would like to add that I am currently taking AP Calc AB and AP Stats. I plan to take AP Calc BC next year and later major in aerospace or mechanical engineering. I am not looking to simply 'skip' physics in college, but I don't want to feel like I have only taken half a course by only taking AP Physics 1.

Should I self study and attempt to take the AP Physics B exam this year? Or should I continue with AP Physics 1 next year? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2
    First of all, think of what it is you want to do.

If you want to skip college courses, you will need AP physics C (and probably more self study).

If all you want is to get a taste of physics and let admissions officers see that you at least took some HS physics, then regular or B level physics serve the same purpose.

Something to remember, though, is that what you self study in senior year does not count for admissions.

If you self study B this year, what will you take next year?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook