AP Physics B Test: Self-Studying and Exam Prep

In summary, the individual is currently enrolled in a regular physics class due to scheduling conflicts and is also taking an engineering class at a votech. They are considering self-studying for the AP Physics B test, but are unsure if it's possible without taking the class. Others suggest that it is possible and recommend giving it a try, with some even sharing personal experiences of successfully self-studying for the exam. It is noted that the material covered in the AP Physics B exam is not as in-depth as the C exam, and that a 60% score is considered a 5.
logickills
Currently I am enrolled in a regular physics class because their was only one AP Physics B class period and it affected my Latin II course. So I took Physics at a votech where I am also taking an engineering class.

My question to all you physics pros is do you think I could self study and take the AP Physics B test? Or is it too much without the class?

If you do think I should give it a shot do you have an suggestions for way/websites/ebooks/textbooks I could learn from .

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
logickills said:
Currently I am enrolled in a regular physics class because their was only one AP Physics B class period and it affected my Latin II course. So I took Physics at a votech where I am also taking an engineering class.

My question to all you physics pros is do you think I could self study and take the AP Physics B test? Or is it too much without the class?

If you do think I should give it a shot do you have an suggestions for way/websites/ebooks/textbooks I could learn from .

Thank You

Go for it. You can miss a large number of questions and still get a 5. I don't have any recommendations for specific study materials, but it doesn't hurt to give it a shot. I ended up getting college credit for the AP B exam without taking an official AP course or studying much at all (although I had 3 semesters of relevant high school physics).

Last edited:
Do it and become my AP Physics B Buddy.

Although I am taking the course...

logickills said:

Thank You

A lot of people self study for AP tests, so it can be done. Even though AP Physics B covers more material than C, the topics are covered without much depth, and the mathematics is definitely watered down (or absent at all).

I didn't personally take the B exam, but I tutored a couple of kids for the test, and it seemed to me like someone can definitely self study for the test, considering the difficulty of the exam and the material covered.

I took the normal physics course last year and decided to take the AP exam just for the heck of it. I barely passed with a 3, but it can be done. I didn't do anything special other than listen in class and do the homework assignment. Good luck!

Also, a 60% in the AP test (Physics C) is a 5. I'm pretty sure it should be close to that for the B test. So it's certainly do-able.

1. What is the format of the AP Physics B test?

The AP Physics B test is a multiple-choice exam that is 3 hours and 15 minutes long. It consists of two sections: Section I, which contains 70 multiple-choice questions, and Section II, which contains 3 free-response questions.

2. How should I prepare for the AP Physics B test if I am self-studying?

If you are self-studying for the AP Physics B test, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the content and concepts covered in the course. You can use review books, online resources, and practice exams to help you prepare. It is also helpful to create a study schedule and stick to it.

3. What are some tips for taking the AP Physics B test?

Some tips for taking the AP Physics B test include practicing with past exams, managing your time effectively, and paying attention to keywords in the questions. It is also important to show your work for free-response questions and to review your answers before submitting them.

4. Are there any specific topics that are commonly tested on the AP Physics B exam?

The AP Physics B exam covers a wide range of topics in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermal physics. However, some topics, such as kinematics, Newton's laws, and circuits, are more commonly tested than others. It is important to review all topics thoroughly, but pay extra attention to these commonly tested areas.

5. What is the passing score for the AP Physics B test?

The AP Physics B test is scored on a scale of 1-5, with a score of 3 or higher considered passing. However, the specific score required for passing may vary depending on the college or university you are applying to. It is always best to check with the admissions office of your desired institution to determine their specific requirements.