Can I Self-Study and Score a 4 or 5 on the AP Physics B Exam?

In summary, the speaker is a senior in high school who wants to self-study AP Physics B but lacks motivation and has a teacher who is not effective in teaching the subject. They plan to use the Princeton Review book and potentially get a tutor or teacher to achieve a 4 or 5 on the AP test. Other recommended resources include a real physics book with solutions and the book "AP Physics B&C Success." The speaker also mentions struggling with optics and asks for book recommendations and tools to improve their grade on the AP test.
KrnMackMattsta
Hey guys.
I am not sure where to post this and my knowledge of Physics is very lacking due to very imcompetent teachers at my school, and my lack of motivation to teach myself. That being said, I am going to be a senior in high school and I am planning to take AP Physics B.

Problem is, however, our physics teacher KNOWS about physics, but does not know how to teach it. In other words, we end up learning bout politics, science, and everything else besides physics.

SO...I plan to teach myself AP Physics B this year primarily using the Princeton Review's AP Physics B and C book AND plan to get a 4 or 5 on teh AP test. Now, I am not by any means a physics guru. I am going to take AP Calc BC this year also if that means anything, but I am sure that I am "average" when it comes to physics.

NOW, some questions. Will it be feasible for me to achieve 4 or 5 on the AP test with no other preparation tools besides the PR book? IF not, what other methods or tools are there that I can use to achieve this grade and knowledge. Any recommendations for any books? Will I, in fact, NEED a tutor or teacher to achieve this goal?

Thanks for all your help.
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
I personally know people who have independently studied ap physics B and gotten a 5. In order to accomplish this you need to have the drive to do it, but it seems as if your not confident enough. Just going through the Princeton Review is not enough. My recommendation, if you do decide to go through this by yourself, is to get a real physics book (University Physics or Physics for Scientists and Engineers) with the student solutions (teacher solutions if possible) and go through the book doing as many examples from each chapter until your confident you know the stuff. The books will probable cost around 150 USD. If you have and questions you can feel free to post it on this forum.

I took AP Physics B last year and got a 4 on the exam and I just did most of my studing in other classes... :frown: Bummed me out though because I got a 5 on my AP World Histroy (and I had a D the last nine weeks! My teach brought it up to a B though because of my exam score! :biggrin: ) exam and I hate history (16th century and forward anyways).

I think it was the optics part that got me. For some reason I always for get what real and vitual images are... I hate optics. :grumpy:

Well, maybe except for the lasers...

what books helped you the most? what tools do i need to get a good grade on the AP test?

I just looked in my textbook and notes really. Some of my friends used "AP Physics B&C Sucess" though.

1. Can I really self-study and achieve a high score on the AP Physics B exam?

Yes, it is possible to self-study and score a 4 or 5 on the AP Physics B exam. However, it requires a significant amount of dedication, hard work, and self-discipline. It is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics before attempting to self-study for this exam.

2. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying for the AP Physics B exam?

The amount of time needed for self-studying will vary for each individual, but it is recommended to dedicate at least 2-3 hours per day for several months leading up to the exam. This will allow enough time to cover all the necessary material and practice enough problems.

3. Do I need any specific resources to self-study for the AP Physics B exam?

While there are many resources available, it is important to have a comprehensive textbook, practice exams, and review materials. It may also be helpful to have access to online resources, such as videos or interactive simulations.

4. How can I ensure that I am adequately prepared for the AP Physics B exam through self-study?

To ensure that you are prepared for the exam, it is important to regularly assess your understanding of the material through practice problems and past exams. It may also be helpful to join online study groups or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

5. Are there any tips for effectively self-studying for the AP Physics B exam?

Some tips for effective self-studying include creating a study schedule, breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks, and actively engaging with the material by practicing problems and seeking clarification for any difficult concepts. It is also important to take breaks and maintain a healthy balance between studying and other activities.