Why Does Using A=L^2/4 Lead to Incorrect Results in Calculating EMF in a Loop?

In summary, the conversation is about solving part b of a question related to finding the flux through a wire loop in a magnetic field. The equation A=L^2/4 is used, and after finding dA/dt, it is realized that dL/dt is equal to v. The final equation is -d(flux)/dt=-BLv/2 and after applying emf/R=I, the answer is BLv0/4R=I. The person is confused about why using A=L^2/4 gets them the wrong answer, when they should be using (L/4)*x.
pokemon123
Homework Statement
AP Physics C E and M 2
Relevant Equations
emf=d(flux)/dt
I am attempting to solve part b of this question. I start with the equation A=L^2/4 and I get dA=L/2(dl). Next I find dA/dt=L/2(dL/dt) and I realize dL/dt=v. Thus I get -d(flux)/dt=-BLv/2. Finally, I use emf/R=I. I get -BLv0/2R=I. However, the answer is BLv0/4R=I. I understand dA is supposed to equal L/4(dl) but I am confused why starting with the function A=L^2/4 gets me the wrong answer.

Attachments

• e and m.png
    e and m.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 339
Physics news on Phys.org
pokemon123 said:
I start with the equation A=L^2/4
That's the full area of the wire loop. What you want is the area that is in the magnetic field, which will give you the flux through that loop. Think (L/4)*x.

What is AP Physics C E and M#2?

AP Physics C E and M#2 is a course offered by the College Board as part of the AP Physics C curriculum. It covers the principles of electricity and magnetism, including topics such as electric fields, circuits, and electromagnetic induction.

What is the format of the AP Physics C E and M#2 exam?

The exam consists of two parts: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section has 35 questions and is 1 hour and 30 minutes long. The free-response section has 3 questions and is 1 hour and 30 minutes long. Calculators are allowed on both sections.

What are the prerequisites for taking AP Physics C E and M#2?

Students are expected to have a strong foundation in calculus and mechanics, as well as familiarity with basic concepts of electricity and magnetism. It is recommended that students have completed or are currently enrolled in a calculus-based physics course.

What are the benefits of taking AP Physics C E and M#2?

AP Physics C E and M#2 is a challenging and rigorous course that prepares students for college-level physics courses. Students who perform well on the exam may receive college credit or advanced placement in physics courses, potentially saving time and money in college.

What resources are available for studying AP Physics C E and M#2?

The College Board offers a variety of resources, including practice exams, study guides, and online courses. Many textbooks and study guides are also available from third-party publishers. In addition, there are many online resources and forums where students can find additional practice problems and ask questions to other students or teachers.