1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses AP Physics C in 10th grade?

1. Jan 14, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I know I have asked a similar question before but I now have more information.

I have been communicating with the AP physics teacher at my high school. I have really been looking to challenge myself with science (which I can't do this year; I have a 100% in honors chemistry, a mostly 10th grade class, and a 105% in mandatory freshman biology). I also really hate being bored (it actually causes me more stress than being busy). The AP teacher has enrolled me in the honors physics web assignment class, and doing the assignments, I have found that I know most of the material. The likely plan is that next year I will be taking AP physics C (the AP teacher, my parents and I have agreed that it is the goal). Then, I will have the opportunity to take 4 semesters of physics at the local university. I would really like to end up at MIT (although the university of Michigan is a more likely and affordable option. To clarify, this is for a degree, not the previously mentioned 4 semesters. I would likely take those at Oakland University) and get a double major in physics and math. Those 4 semesters would clearly be beneficial to my physics knowledge. Would they be beneficial to getting into MIT or my experience a MIT should I go there? If this is important information, I will concurrently be taking 4 semesters of college math after I take BC calc next year (that is just the natural progression of things; I am in honors precalc right now). I would just like to hear the expert's opinions on this.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2017 #2
    No doubt it would...Learn everything you can and keep challenging yourself :-)

4. Jan 14, 2017 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Here's a few things to consider:
    1. Your teachers are in a good position to assess your strengths and offer guidance. If they think this plan a good idea, that opinion should carry a lot of weight. Similarly, if they express reservations, listen to that too.
    2. Being bored shouldn't stress you out. This just means that you need to find an avenue to channel your energy. If challenges aren't coming through school work, you can always find challenges elsewhere. Take up a hobby. Learn to program and design an a new world-changing "app."
    3. Remember there is no reward for finishing school early. It's great if you can take some university courses while still in high school, but remember this will be a lot of work - not just a matter of learning new and more challenging material. And it will come at a significant time cost. So it's important to think about other life-factors and how taking on advanced coursework will cut into those. Do you have a part-time job, for example? What about a girlfriend/boyfriend? Do you play any sports? What kinds of community service do you do?

5. Jan 14, 2017 #4
    The AP teacher and my chem teacher have both said that it would probably be a good idea for me. My bio teacher said that she recommends going light on AP courses.
    For some reason it does. When I feel like I'm not being challenged in school, I try to learn more about the topic. Honestly, my hobbies are math and physics. Trying to learn it on my own, however, makes me more stressed. I've also picked up the task of making math/physics tutorial videos for self studiers, which should keep me busy for a while.
    This is really not to finish high school or college early. It is really opening up the opportunity for me to learn as much as I can in highschool and college. I know it will be a lot of work, and I am prepared for it.
    Working on that :wink:
    Well, all the sports that I like and are good at (i.e. only football) are "too dangerous" for me to play, according to my mom. I did play last year, though. I'm also going to take up tutoring (some for community service, some for money).

Thank you very much for that response. Others have definitely brought those things up with me. I think that I am prepared to take on those challenges, though. My only issue is how much taking on those challenges and taking those college classes will help me in the future.

6. Jan 14, 2017 #5

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A lot of students at MIT have had a lot of advanced coursework in high school, so it would help you academically if you were to go there. Of course first you have to be accepted, which is a crapshoot and many more than worthy applicants are denied (who may end up there for grad school). I would just try to do what you enjoy at the moment while you have the time. Of course, you should try to compare for college applications too, but the former would be my first concern. Although to get into a good college you would need to do other things as well to stand out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted