1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Physics E&M P=I^2*R vs P=IV

Tags:
  1. May 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[Broken]
    Part f. Calculated current = 0.5 A. Voltage = 30 V. Resistance = 40 Ω

2. Relevant equations

P=IV
    P=I^2*R
    P=V^2/R

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been curious about this for a while. Sometimes when I am asked to find the power dissipated through a resistor, and I use P=IV, it doesn't yield the same answer as if I used P=I^2*R, which is generally the correct answer. This is such an example. P=IV yields 15 W, while P=I^2*R yields 10 W, which is the correct answer. Can anyone explain this? And under which circumstances should I use P=I^2*R, and under which circumstances should I use P=IV? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The power dissipated in a resistor is P=IV where V is the voltage across the resistor and I is the current through the resistor. Ohm's Law states that the voltage across a resistor of resistance R is V=IR. So P=IV can also be written as P=I(IR)=I2R.

30 V is the voltage across the chain of the 40 Ω and 20 Ω resistors. It is 20 V across the 40 Ω resistor when the switch is closed for a long time.

ehild

4. May 12, 2013 #3
    Aha! I understand now, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted