Calculating Work Done by a Constant Force on a Moving Body

In summary, a constant force with components Fx=3N and Fy=4N acts on a body moving from point P (x=2 m, y=6 m) to point Q (x=14 m, y=1 m). The force does 16 J of work on the body during this process. This problem is from a set of free sample test questions posted on the College Board website for the Physics: C Mechanics exam.
swarm17

Homework Statement

I have this packet and one of the questions state:
The constant force F with components Fx=3N and Fy=4N act on a body while that body moves from the point P (x=2 m, y=6 m) to the point Q (x=14 m, y=1 m). How much does the force do on the body during this process?

the options are as follows:
a. 16 J
b. 30 J
c. 46 J
d. 56 J
e. 65 J

Homework Equations

I have the equations to find energy:
kinetic: K=(1/2)mv^2
gravitational: mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. So far I have figured out you need to keep the x and y components separated and calculate each but I think I'm doing something wrong. I've gotten to Work = Force * cos(t) * change in distance but I'm just confusing myself. Help?

Also, I am taking the Physics: C Mechanics exam, what are some topics and questions that would help me prepare for it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a dot product is?

I don't know what a dot product is other than its used in calculus

swarm17 said:
I don't know what a dot product is other than its used in calculus

It is quite a simple operation, I am sure you must have come across it in high school maths, but for a refresher...

Dot product is defined as:
[itex]
a_{i} b_{j}\delta_{ij}=a_{i} b_{i}[/itex]

Example:
[itex]
\vec{a} = (2\hat{e}_{1} +2\hat{e}_{2} + 2\hat{e}_{3} )
[/itex]
[itex]
\vec{b} = (0\hat{e}_{1} +2\hat{e}_{2} + 4\hat{e}_{3} )
[/itex]

then
[itex]
a_{i} b_{j}\delta_{ij}= ( 2 \bullet 0) + (2 \bullet 2) + (2 \bullet 4)
[/itex]
[itex]
a_{i} b_{j}\delta_{ij}= 12

[/itex]

You have the right formula. But it easier to use the dot product formula (which may be used by people that don't know calculus)

W = Fxdx+Fydy+Fzdz.

Those are the components of the forceF and the displacement d.

EDIT: TheAustrian beat me to the punch

Likes 1 person
Would the answer be a. 16 J?
I used:
F=(3i+4j) N
s=(14-2i + 1-6j)
m = 12i+-5j) m
W=f•s=36-20=16J
16 J?

Yeah, that looks right.

Likes 1 person
swarm17 said:

Homework Statement

I have this packet and one of the questions state:
The constant force F with components Fx=3N and Fy=4N act on a body while that body moves from the point P (x=2 m, y=6 m) to the point Q (x=14 m, y=1 m). How much does the force do on the body during this process?

the options are as follows:
a. 16 J
b. 30 J
c. 46 J
d. 56 J
e. 65 J

Homework Equations

I have the equations to find energy:
kinetic: K=(1/2)mv^2
gravitational: mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. So far I have figured out you need to keep the x and y components separated and calculate each but I think I'm doing something wrong. I've gotten to Work = Force * cos(t) * change in distance but I'm just confusing myself. Help?

Also, I am taking the Physics: C Mechanics exam, what are some topics and questions that would help me prepare for it?
Is this problem from a practice test or is it from a current AP test ?

SammyS said:
Is this problem from a practice test or is it from a current AP test ?
It is from a set of free sample test questions posted on the College Board website.

swarm17, hope everything went well for you yesterday!

1. What is the format of the AP Physics exam?

The AP Physics exam consists of two sections: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section has 50 questions and is 1 hour and 30 minutes long. The free-response section has 5 questions and is 1 hour and 30 minutes long.

2. What topics are covered on the AP Physics exam?

The AP Physics exam covers a wide range of topics including kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, circular motion, gravitation, and electricity and magnetism. It also includes laboratory skills and data analysis.

3. How is the AP Physics exam graded?

The multiple-choice section of the AP Physics exam is scored based on the number of correct answers, with no points deducted for incorrect answers. The free-response section is scored based on the quality of the responses, with partial credit given for incomplete or incorrect answers.

4. Are calculators allowed on the AP Physics exam?

Yes, calculators are allowed on the AP Physics exam. However, only certain models are permitted, so it is important to check the College Board's website for a list of approved calculators.

5. What resources are available for studying for the AP Physics exam?

The College Board offers a variety of resources for studying for the AP Physics exam, including practice tests, study guides, and review books. Additionally, many schools and private companies offer review courses and tutoring services for the AP Physics exam.