AP Physics z0rz w/ 1 problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a golfer hitting a ball at a 30 degree angle with an initial speed of 60m/sec. They use trigonometry to calculate the vertical and horizontal components of the ball's velocity, and then use the equation vf = vi + at to find the time for the vertical component. However, they make a mistake and get the wrong answer, but eventually figure out the correct answer of 45.9m.
saiyajin822
ok I've been trying to figure out this problem for about an hour :/

A golfer drives a ball at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal at an initial speed of 60m/sec. How high does the ball rise?

ok I am pretty sure this is a projectile problem.
Vf=0(?)
Vh=52m/s
Vv=30m/s (i used sin and cos to get those 2 components)
g=-9.8m/s^2

I tried figuring out the time for the vertical. So, I did Vf=Vi+at. 0=30+(-9.8)t. t=3.06s. Then I tried finding the height using v=d/t. 30m/s=d/3.06. I ended up getting the wrong problem..the real answer is 45.9m.

I could realllly use some help :/

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind, i figured it out I am just stupid ;_;

Hi there,

It looks like you are on the right track with using projectile motion equations to solve this problem. However, there are a few things that may have caused you to get the wrong answer.

First, when using the equation Vf=Vi+at, make sure to use the vertical component of the initial velocity (Vv), not the horizontal component (Vh). So it would be 0=30+(-9.8)t, which gives a slightly different time of 3.06 seconds.

Second, when using the equation v=d/t, make sure to use the vertical distance traveled (since that is what we are solving for), not the horizontal distance. So it would be 30m/s=d/3.06, which gives a different answer of 91.8m.

To find the actual height, we need to use the equation d=Vit+1/2at^2, where d is the vertical distance, Vi is the initial vertical velocity, a is acceleration due to gravity, and t is time. Plugging in the values, we get d=30(3.06)+1/2(-9.8)(3.06)^2, which gives a height of 45.9m.

I hope this helps! Projectile motion problems can be tricky, so don't get discouraged. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

1. What is AP Physics z0rz w/ 1 problem?

AP Physics z0rz w/ 1 problem is a course designed to prepare high school students for the Advanced Placement (AP) Physics exam. It covers various topics in physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. What is the format of the AP Physics exam?

The AP Physics exam consists of two sections: multiple-choice questions and free-response questions. The multiple-choice section has 45 questions and the free-response section has 5 questions. Students have 90 minutes to complete the multiple-choice section and 90 minutes to complete the free-response section.

3. How is AP Physics z0rz w/ 1 problem different from other AP Physics courses?

AP Physics z0rz w/ 1 problem focuses on one specific problem in each lesson, allowing students to deeply understand the underlying concepts and principles. This approach helps students develop problem-solving skills and prepares them for the types of questions they will encounter on the AP exam.

4. What are the prerequisites for taking AP Physics z0rz w/ 1 problem?

The prerequisites for AP Physics z0rz w/ 1 problem vary depending on the school and the teacher's discretion. However, it is recommended that students have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and basic physics concepts before taking the course.

5. How can I prepare for the AP Physics exam?

To prepare for the AP Physics exam, it is important to review class notes and practice solving problems. It is also helpful to take practice exams and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. Additionally, utilizing online resources, such as review websites and videos, can also aid in preparation.