Is Taking AP Physics in High School Worth It?

In summary, it is not recommended to take physics over the summer as the fast pace makes it difficult to cover all the material. It is also important to focus on improving English writing skills before worrying about taking AP physics in high school.
Delta31415
Should i wait a year or so and take AP physics or take physics over the summer, at a college just asking(am a freshman in high school)

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics in the summer is rarely a good idea. Summer sessions move too fast, and it is difficult to get all the material in such a short time frame.

Seems you might be planning a bit too far ahead if you are only a HS freshman. As I recall it, physics is usually a senior level course in HS, so you don't have to worry about this today. To quote somebody (I forget who), "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

good quote but i have something to say am in high ability so i have the option to take AP physics in 11th grade or i can take it at the same time with AP chem in 10th

Delta31415 said:
good quote but i have something to say am in high ability so i have the option to take AP physics in 11th grade or i can take it at the same time with AP chem in 10th

Since you are "in high ability," maybe we should analyze your English writing capability a bit.
No beginning capital letter.
No period to end the sentence.
Looks like you really intended to start a second sentence at "am in high..." with the first complete thought ending with "... to say."
Second thought lacks a subject, but "I" is somewhat implied.

What exactly does it mean to be "in high ability"? Is that like being in Dallas? Or is it more like being inside versus outside? Or just what does it mean? (Did you want to say that you have high ability?)

Maybe you should take a few more English classes and hold off on the physics?

Likes sheldonrocks97
Dr.D said:
Since you are "in high ability," maybe we should analyze your English writing capability a bit.
No beginning capital letter.
No period to end the sentence.
Looks like you really intended to start a second sentence at "am in high..." with the first complete thought ending with "... to say."
Second thought lacks a subject, but "I" is somewhat implied.

What exactly does it mean to be "in high ability"? Is that like being in Dallas? Or is it more like being inside versus outside? Or just what does it mean? (Did you want to say that you have high ability?)

Maybe you should take a few more English classes and hold off on the physics?

I applaud you, sir! That was a fantastic burn!

No no like Dallas,what I meant by high ability is that i take chemistry and algebra 2 as an freshman, so i get the option to take AP physics next year

1. What is AP Physics and how is it different from regular physics classes?

AP Physics is an advanced placement course that covers topics in both algebra-based and calculus-based physics. It is typically taken by high school students and is equivalent to a first-year college physics course. The main difference between AP Physics and regular physics classes is the level of difficulty and the depth of topics covered. AP Physics also has an end-of-year exam that can earn students college credit.

2. Why should I take AP Physics?

AP Physics can provide a challenging and rewarding experience for students interested in pursuing a career in science or engineering. It can also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in any field. Additionally, earning college credit through AP Physics can save time and money in the long run.

3. What topics are covered in AP Physics?

AP Physics covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. It also incorporates mathematical concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus to solve physics problems. The specific topics covered may vary depending on the curriculum of the school or teacher.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking AP Physics?

While there are no official prerequisites for AP Physics, it is recommended that students have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. Some schools may also require students to have taken a regular physics course before enrolling in AP Physics.

5. Is it beneficial to take a summer class for AP Physics?

Taking a summer class for AP Physics can be beneficial for students who want to get a head start on the coursework or need extra time to review challenging concepts. However, it is important to make sure that the summer class covers the same topics and prepares students for the same end-of-year exam as the regular school year course.