AP Physics Problem Set: Pole Vault Event & Calculating Energy Transfer

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps for solving a question related to the pole vault event where an athlete with a mass of 60 kg and a center of mass at 1 m high uses a flexible fiberglass pole to jump over a bar. The conversation also mentions the calculation of average force and its different definitions, ultimately determining that the question does not provide enough information to accurately calculate the average force.
master_333

Homework Statement

Sorry this may be a better picture. I missed the top of the page but the question says

1) In the pole vault event, an athlete runs as fast as possible towards the bar, holding a flexible fiberglass pole. He stick s the end of the pole into a slot in the ground, swings up on the pole and over the bar as shown below (not to scale). Assume the athlete has a mass of 60 kg and his center of mass is 1 m high, relative to the ground. Could you tell me if my steps to part d are correct.

GPE initial - Wfinal = GPEfinal
-Wfinal = GPE final - GPE initial

- 3.5F = 588J - 2646 J
-3.5F = -2058J
F = 588N

My updated answers for question 1 are
1 B) 9.52m/s
1 C) 513 w

Attachments

• IMG_1337.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to B seems a little high. Please post your working.

For d, I do not understand your method for calculating F. Please explain it. What is the 3.5?

Anyway, question d is bad. Average force is defined as ##\Delta p/\Delta t##, the change in momentum divided by the time interval. Since you do not know the time taken for the cushion to absorb the impact, there is no way to calculate the average force.
The questioner probably expects you to use ##\Delta E/\Delta s##, the change in energy divided by the distance over which the force acted. That gives the right answer when the force is constant, but here it will not be.

What is an AP Physics Problem Set?

An AP Physics Problem Set is a collection of questions and problems that cover various topics in physics, designed to help students prepare for the AP Physics exam.

How do I approach an AP Physics Problem Set?

To approach an AP Physics Problem Set, it is important to first read and understand the instructions and questions carefully. Then, break down the problem into smaller parts and use relevant equations and concepts to solve each part. Finally, check your answers and make sure they are reasonable.

What topics are usually covered in an AP Physics Problem Set?

An AP Physics Problem Set typically covers topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and thermodynamics. It may also include some basic math and graphing questions.

How long does it take to complete an AP Physics Problem Set?

The amount of time it takes to complete an AP Physics Problem Set may vary depending on the complexity of the questions and your familiarity with the topics. However, it is recommended to allocate at least 2-3 hours to complete a problem set.

Are there any resources available to help me with an AP Physics Problem Set?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you with an AP Physics Problem Set. You can refer to your textbook, class notes, online tutorials, or seek help from your teacher or peers. It is important to actively engage with the material and practice regularly to improve your problem-solving skills.