Solving AP Physics: Spring Compression Problem

In summary: The spring will compress the most when the block is at the bottom of the incline, and at this point the height is equal to the length of the incline times the sine of the angle. In summary, a 20 kg mass slides down a frictionless plane inclined at 30 deg and strikes an ideal spring with K=200 N/m. The speed of the block just before it hits the spring is 7.75 m/s. The distance the spring is compressed when the block comes to rest is equal to the length of the incline times the sine of the angle. The distance the spring is compressed when the block reaches maximum speed is 0.
devolg632104

Homework Statement

A 20 kg mass released from rest slides down a frictionless plane inclined at an angle of 30 deg with the horizontal and strikes a spring of spring constant K=200 Newtons/meter. Assume that the spring is ideal, that the mass of the spring is negligible, and that mechanical energy is conserved. Use g = 10 m/s^2.

a. Determine the speed of the block just before it hits the spring.
b. Determine the distance the spring has been compressed when the block comes to rest.
c. Determine the distance the spring is compressed when the block reaches maximum speed.

Homework Equations

a. V^2=Vo^2 +2ad
b. PE spring = 1/2kx^2
PE = mgh
KE = 1/2mv^2
PE +KE = PE spring
c. Totally clueless

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I found what the force of gravity was in the x direction, divided by the mass, and then found the acceleration. Then I plugged that and the given variables into the kinematic equation

V^2=Vo^2 +2ad

And the answer I got was 7.75 m/s

For part b, I tried Ug+K=Us, but I cannot determine the height so I do not know how to do this.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
devolg632104 said:
For part b, I tried Ug+K=Us, but I cannot determine the height so I do not know how to do this.
The amount of spring compression and the change in height are related by a little trig.

I would like to commend you for attempting to solve this problem and using the relevant equations to find the speed of the block. However, I would like to point out that for part a, you have only calculated the final speed of the block just before it hits the spring. To find the initial speed, you would need to consider the block's motion before it reaches the spring.

For part b, you correctly identified that the potential energy of the block at the top of the incline would be converted into the potential energy of the compressed spring and the kinetic energy of the block at the bottom of the incline. However, to find the height, you can use the given information about the angle of the incline and the gravitational acceleration to find the vertical height of the incline. Then, you can use this height and the given angle to find the horizontal distance traveled by the block, which will be the same as the distance the spring has been compressed.

For part c, you can use the principle of conservation of energy to find the distance the spring is compressed when the block reaches its maximum speed. This means that the total energy of the system (kinetic energy of the block and potential energy of the spring) will remain constant throughout the motion. You can equate the initial and final energies and solve for the distance the spring is compressed.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem-solving!

1. How do I approach a spring compression problem in AP Physics?

To solve a spring compression problem, you should first identify the given variables and equations related to springs and their properties. Then, you can use these equations to determine the unknown variables, such as the spring constant or the amount of compression.

2. What is Hooke's Law and how is it used in spring compression problems?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of compression or extension of the spring. In spring compression problems, this law is used to calculate the force required to compress a spring or the amount of compression caused by a given force.

3. Can you explain the difference between spring compression and spring constant?

Spring compression refers to the change in length or displacement of a spring when a force is applied to it. On the other hand, the spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and is represented by the letter "k" in equations. It is a constant value for a given spring and is used to calculate the force required to compress or extend the spring.

4. How do I determine the direction of the force in a spring compression problem?

In a spring compression problem, the direction of the force can be determined by considering the direction of the displacement of the spring. If the spring is being compressed, the force will be directed towards the spring, and if the spring is being extended, the force will be directed away from the spring.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving spring compression problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving spring compression problems include mixing up the variables and equations, not considering the direction of the force, and forgetting to convert units to the correct measurement system. It is also important to double-check calculations and equations to avoid any errors in the final answer.