Preparing for AP Physics and SAT II: Tips and Resources for Self-Study

In summary, A high school senior is planning on majoring in physics in college but their school only offers a general physics course. They plan on taking the SAT II and AP Physics tests through personal study. They are looking for online study guides and information to help them prepare for the tests, and "AP Central" is recommended as a resource with past free-response questions and textbooks suggested for practice. It is also suggested to be cautious of some SAT II prep books, and to search for Physics Praxis exams for a general overview of physics. The student is also fortunate to have had a physics class in high school, as some do not have the opportunity until college.
Lyuokdea
I'm going to be a high school senior next year and am planning on majoring in physics at college, unfortuantely our school does not offer an AP Physics course, they only offer one general physics course which I have already taken and which failed to teach me anything. But, since I am majoring in physics I believe it would be helpful for me to be able to show colleges that I do have a grasp of physics concepts and so I am planning on taking the SAT II in physics and the AP Physics test via personal study. Does anybody know if there are any helpful online study guides or information which I should go through in order to pass these tests? Thanks.

~Lyuokdea

Physics news on Phys.org
Definately visit "AP Central." Do a search for "AP Physics" on Google or whatever, and choose a link that includes "collegeboard" in its address (I think it's: apcentral.collgeboard.com but I'm not sure.

THere you can find pdf files of the free-response questions for the last four years. Try to solve these problems. If you can't, try your best to learn from a textbook how to solve them.

By the way some of those SAT II prep books are HORRIBLE! THey contain some bad questions with worse explanations. Return to this forum if you get stuck.

MCAT books have reasonably good physics questions but for a general view of physics, try searching for Physics Praxis exams.

You're lucky that you even had a physics class in high school. I'm a physics major and my first course was my sophomore year of college.

1. What is AP Physics Study Guide?

AP Physics Study Guide is a comprehensive resource designed to help students prepare for the Advanced Placement Physics exam. It includes topics, formulas, practice questions, and tips for success on the exam.

2. How can AP Physics Study Guide benefit me?

AP Physics Study Guide can benefit you by providing a structured and organized approach to studying for the AP Physics exam. It covers all the key concepts and formulas, and offers practice questions to help you test your understanding and improve your performance on the exam.

3. Is AP Physics Study Guide suitable for all levels of physics students?

Yes, AP Physics Study Guide is suitable for all levels of physics students. It covers both the AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 exams, so it is a valuable resource for students regardless of their level of proficiency in physics.

4. Are there any additional resources included in AP Physics Study Guide?

Yes, in addition to the study guide, there are also helpful tips and strategies for tackling the AP Physics exam, as well as practice questions and full-length practice tests. These resources can help you assess your strengths and weaknesses and target your studying effectively.

5. Is AP Physics Study Guide available in both print and digital formats?

Yes, AP Physics Study Guide is available in both print and digital formats. The print version is a physical book that can be purchased online or in stores, while the digital version is an eBook that can be downloaded onto a device for convenient studying on-the-go.