1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Physics-Temperature and Heat

1. Dec 18, 2004 #1
    I have a concept question that asks, "When the bulb of a mercury-in-glass thermometer is inserted into boiling water, the mercury column first drops slightly before it begins to rise. Account for this phenomenon." I have no idea why. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2004 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How does the heat get to the mercury in the bulb? (ie. there are only three ways to transfer heat: convection, radiation or conduction). So what does the heat do to the glass?

AM

4. Dec 18, 2004 #3
    well, the good news is that there will probably not be any questions of that sort will NOT be on the ap exam. before i took mine last may, i did about four or so old exams. not once was there a conceptual problem in thermo of that nature. (...and i'm not sure if there were any conceptual problems in thermo at all. don't remember any.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?