1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Physics tension problem

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    I have managed to get the worst teacher in the world for my AP Physics class. I was wondering how to do this problem:
    How much tension must a rope withstand if it is used to accelerate a 1400 kg car vertically upward at 0.70 m/s2?
    I really have no idea how to start it...:redface: But hopefully someone can give me a clue.

Merci!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What does the equation F=ma mean to you? How would you apply it to this problem?

4. Oct 2, 2006 #3
    Always start by drawing a picture and labeling everything you know. Try to solve it and then we will discuss it.

5. Oct 3, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

In a PM to me you wrote:
    How much does a 1700kg car weigh? That is the first component in the tension in the rope. The 2nd component is the extra acceleration of the car upward (over and above the acceleration of gravity g). How much extra force (F=ma) does it take to produce that acceleration of the car upwards? Now add the two components to get the total tension in the rope. And be sure to pay attention in your upcoming classes. This stuff is fundamental.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?