1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Problem

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

sin30= .50 sin60= .87
    cos30= .87 cos60= .50
    tan30= .58 tan60= 1.73

A 5.0 kilogram monkey hangs initially at rest from two vines. A and B, as shown above. Each of the vines has length 10 meters and negligible mass.

For parts c and d:
    The monkey releases vine A and swings on vine B. Neglect air resistance.
    c. Determine the speed of the money as it pass through the lowest point of it's first swing.

d. Determine the tension in vine B as the monkey passes through the lowest point of its first swing.

2. Relevant equations
    Centripetal force? m(v^2/r)

3. The attempt at a solution

Completed parts a and b. Force diagram and tensions in each vine before release. T1= 9N and T2= 5.13N

I'm not sure as what I am to do... I'm thinking that it has something to do with centripetal force but not sure cause he is swinging.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Part C - the easiest way is probably conservation of energy.
    Calculate the difference in height between it's initial position and the position when the vine is at it's lowest point. PE = m g h and KE = 1/2 m v^2

Part D - don't forget you also have the weight of the monkey.
  4. Jan 24, 2008 #3
    that makes sense, thanks for the tip. Never would have thought to use conservation of energy.
  5. Jan 24, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's always a good bet - it can't necessarily answer all questions (part D for instance) but when it's right it's right! And is generally simple, you don't have to worry about angles and vectors etc.
  6. Nov 23, 2009 #5
    ahh but how do you calculate the height? Are you sure the tension in both a and b are correct hothot?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?