Solving AP Physics Problem - Find Total Impulse on 5kg Ball

In summary, a 5kg ball initially at rest on a frictionless table is hit by a .5kg plastic cube moving at 26 m/s. The force exerted on the ball by the cube over time is shown in a graph, with the force rising from 0-2.0(x10^3 Newtons) in the first 4 seconds, remaining constant for the next 2 seconds, and then dropping to 0 over the next 4 seconds. To find the total impulse given to the ball, you can use the formula F \Delta t, which is the area under the force-time graph. The next step would be to find the horizontal velocity of the ball using the equation J=change in momentum,
aber
Hey I am in 12 grade but this is advanced placement so its college level... Anyways i could use some help on this problem i have

A 5kg ball initally rest at the edfe of a 2-meter long, 1.2 meter high frictionless tavle, as show above. A hard plastic cude of mass .5kg slides across the table at a speed of 26 m/s and strikes the ball, causing the ball to leave the table in the direction in which the cude was moving. The figure below shows a graph of the force exerted on the ball by the cude as a function of time

graph is:

as time goes from 0-4 seconds, the force rises o-2.0(x10^3 Newtons).
from 4.0-6.0 seconds the F stays at 2.0 (x10^3 Newtons)
6-10 seconds force falls to 0. so it looks like a table /**\ type thing...

Anyways, it wants the total impulse given to the ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
i know impulse=change in potentional, or the intengral of dt? i haven't taken calculas yet so i have no idea about derivatives and integrations

Impulse is [tex] F \Delta t [/tex]

You can easily determine this from the graph, just the same way you get displacement from a velocity vs time graph, or work from a Force vs displacement graph.

Whats that symbol infront of time... we haven't learned displacement yet...

nevermind change in time... ok thanks

[tex]F \Delta t [/tex] is read F delta t and the delta means change in (time for this case). I'm amazed you have learned anything about displacement (maybe you refer to it simply as distance which is a scalar quantity unlike displacement, a vector). But to concentrate on this problem how would you find impulse looking at the graph?

so i did J=2000(6-4), J=4,000.. so basically area under the FxT graph is the impulse... sasme as area in VxT=distance... next part is to find the horizontal velocity of the ball, which so if i know mv of block, i can use J=change in momentum... so 4000=(26x.5)-(5xV). so Velocity= hm... nevermind that doesn't seem right... i guess we don't know change in momentum

o wait, wouldn't it be 4000=(.5x26)-(.5v), V=7974... that defiantly isn't right

Do you know any calculus? (oops, nevermind, just saw the inital post.)

The impulse is going to be equal to the area under the force curve in the force-time graph. You can check to make sure that force times time gives units equal to momentum, and be sure to check the scales.

Last edited:

1. What is total impulse in AP Physics?

Total impulse in AP Physics is the change in momentum of an object over a given time period. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in units of kg*m/s.

2. How do I calculate total impulse on a 5kg ball?

The formula for total impulse is Imp = m * Δv, where m is the mass of the object and Δv is the change in velocity. In this case, you would take the mass of the 5kg ball and multiply it by the change in velocity to find the total impulse.

3. What is the unit for total impulse?

The unit for total impulse is kg*m/s. This is derived from the formula Imp = m * Δv, where m is measured in kilograms and Δv is measured in meters per second.

4. Can total impulse be negative?

Yes, total impulse can be negative if the direction of the change in velocity is opposite to the initial direction of motion. This indicates that the object is losing momentum instead of gaining it.

5. How is total impulse related to force?

Total impulse is directly proportional to force, as stated in Newton's Second Law of Motion (F = ma). This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in momentum and therefore the greater the total impulse.