Solve AP Reactions: Pb+2 + 2I-, 2P+302, H+ + ZnS | Help w/ Confusing C

In summary, the person is asking for help with predicting reactions involving sodium iodide and lead(2) acetate, pure white phosphorus, excess hydrochloric acid and cobalt(2) chloride, and solid sodium hydrogen carbonate. They have found solutions for A and B, but are confused about C and D. They have been given a resource to find solutions for all of the reactions.
craftymex
Can you guys help me with these reactions? I've always kinda sucked at predicting reactions and some of these have me really confused. There from 2002, so I couldn't find the answers online.
A. a solution of sodium iodide is added to a solution of lead(2) acetate.
My answer: Pb+2 + 2I- = PbI2
B. Pure white phosphurus is burned.
2P+302 = 2P203
C. Excess hydrochloric acid is added to 1.0M cobalt(2) chloride.
No idea
d. Solid sodium hydrogen carbonate(sodium bicarbonate) is strongly heated.
No idea
e. Hydrochloric acid is added to zinc sulfide.
2H+ + ZnS = H2S + Zn+2
The one I'm most confused about is c. Can you help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome, thanks a lot.

1. What is the overall reaction for "Pb+2 + 2I-, 2P+302, H+ + ZnS"?

The overall reaction is: Pb+2 + 2I- + 2P+302 + 2H+ + 2ZnS → PbI2 + 2P+3 + 2H2O + 2Zn

2. How do you balance the equation for "Pb+2 + 2I-, 2P+302, H+ + ZnS"?

To balance the equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides. In this case, you would need to add a coefficient of 2 in front of Pb+2, 2 in front of I-, and 2 in front of H+ on the left side to balance out the Pb, I, and H atoms. The balanced equation would be: 2Pb+2 + 4I- + 2P+302 + 4H+ + 2ZnS → 2PbI2 + 2P+3 + 4H2O + 2Zn

3. What are the products of the reaction "Pb+2 + 2I-, 2P+302, H+ + ZnS"?

The products of the reaction are: PbI2, P+3, H2O, and Zn

4. How can I tell if a reaction is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a type of reaction where there is a transfer of electrons between species. To determine if a reaction is a redox reaction, you can check if there is a change in the oxidation states of the elements involved. If there is an increase in oxidation state, it is a reduction reaction, and if there is a decrease in oxidation state, it is an oxidation reaction. In this case, Pb changes from +2 to 0, while P changes from +3 to +5, indicating a reduction and oxidation reaction, respectively. Therefore, this reaction is a redox reaction.

5. What is the purpose of balancing chemical equations?

The purpose of balancing chemical equations is to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. Balancing equations also allows us to accurately predict the products of a reaction and determine the quantities of reactants needed.