Exploring the Physics of Water and Pollutant Compounds on Pea Plant Production

In summary, a group of students in an AP science class are working together to answer a question about the relationship between water and life. They are specifically studying how changing the ratio of distilled water to pollutant compounds would affect transportation and absorption rates, ultimately affecting the production of peas. The students are struggling to come up with ideas for incorporating physics into their calculations, but some suggestions include looking at hydrogen bonding and electrical properties of the solution.
zaga04

Homework Statement

So in my school, the three AP science concentrations (Bio, Chem and Physics) are teaming together in groups to answer a question about water and it's relationship to life. So our team is doing this question: By changing the ratio between distilled water and the pollutant compounds of H2SO4, HNO3, and HCl, how would it affect the transportation and absorption rates, studied on a pea plant, ultimately affecting the amount of pea production such as the size and number of seeds.

The problem we're having is what can we calculate with physics? Can you give me some ideas that are not ridiculously hard to calculate. Like the Chem and Bio areas are obvious in the question, but the Physics is a little more embedded. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
! Homework Equations N/A The Attempt at a SolutionSince this problem involves water, one idea is to calculate the hydrogen bonding of the molecules in the mixture. This would involve calculating the dipole moments of the molecules and their interactions with each other. Additionally, you could look at the electrical properties of the solution, such as the conductivity, by calculating the molar conductivity. These are just two ideas, but there are many more that could be explored to relate the physics of the situation to the effects on the pea plants.

I would suggest approaching this question by considering the physical properties of water and how they may be affected by the pollutant compounds. For example, you could investigate how the addition of these compounds changes the surface tension or viscosity of water, which could impact the transportation and absorption rates in the pea plant. Additionally, you could explore how the pollutants affect the pH and conductivity of water, which could also have an impact on the plant's ability to absorb nutrients. These physical properties can be measured and quantified using simple experiments or calculations, without being overly complex. I would also recommend consulting with your physics teacher or conducting some research to identify other relevant physical principles that could be applied to this question. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of an AP Sciences project?

The purpose of an AP Sciences project is to provide students with an opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills they have acquired in their science courses to a real-world problem or question. It allows them to engage in scientific inquiry, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and communicate their findings in a professional manner.

2. How do I choose a topic for my AP Sciences project?

Choosing a topic for your AP Sciences project can be a challenging task. It is important to select a topic that interests you and is relevant to the field of science you are studying. You can also consult with your teacher or mentor for guidance and suggestions on potential topics.

3. What are the key components of an AP Sciences project?

The key components of an AP Sciences project typically include a research question or hypothesis, a detailed methodology, data collection and analysis, and a conclusion based on the findings. It may also involve a literature review, background research, and a discussion of the potential impact or significance of the project.

4. How long should an AP Sciences project be?

The length of an AP Sciences project can vary, but it is typically recommended to be between 10-15 pages. This allows enough space to thoroughly explain your research methods, present your data and analysis, and articulate your findings and conclusions.

5. How can I ensure the success of my AP Sciences project?

To ensure the success of your AP Sciences project, it is important to start early and plan your project carefully. Make sure to choose a topic that is feasible and manageable within the given time frame. It is also essential to follow the scientific method, accurately record and analyze your data, and communicate your findings effectively. Seeking feedback and guidance from your teacher or mentor can also help improve the quality of your project.

Back