1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Test advice?

1. Feb 24, 2014 #1
    I need help deciding which AP Physics test to take.
    Currently, I am a junior taking AP Physics BC, which my teacher claims is between AP Physics B and C. It looks like all we will learn this year is mechanics, maybe touch on electricity. Our teacher isn’t giving us any AP test questions or practice, but I think he is covering the material well, explaining the concepts and equations thoroughly.
    My teacher says good engineering colleges will only notice me if I take the AP Physics C test. He says his course doesn’t cover much of the C test and I won’t have enough time to study for it.
    I bought a AP Barron’s Physics C book (barely opened, so I can still return it).
    I’m planning to major in engineering (probably mechanical) in college.
    How much more material does Physics C cover than Physics B? Would the Physics C book also be helpful for studying Physics B?
    I understand the concepts taught in class well and so far I am maintaining a high A. Which test should I take? Do good colleges really only care about 5s on the C test?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2
    One more general question:
    Is it better to get a 4 on the C test or a 5 on the B test?

4. Feb 24, 2014 #3
    Also, if I take the C test, I would just take mechanics.

5. Apr 1, 2014 #4
    Hello,

From my experience, many schools will not even accept credit from the physics B test for engineering majors. physics B has broader, lower-level coverage than physics C, with the biggest difference being the use of some calculus in physics C.

As a mechanical engineering student in a top-ten undergraduate program, I advocate avoiding the physics B test, as it likely won't count for anything. That said, you should be pretty confident before attempting the physics C test. My school requires a 5. Most list the requirements online. Look into the schools you are considering to see what you would need.

I hope this helps. If you need more clarification, feel free to ask.

6. Apr 1, 2014 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got a 5 on both Physics C tests and my undergrad school didn't care.

I was in a similar situation to yours where the teacher didn't really care about the AP tests and didn't attempt to cover the material on them. I think I self-studied from Barron's as well. Give it your best shot, but don't expect it to count for anything, necessarily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook