Deciding Between AP Physics B & C for Engineering Majors

• Thread starter jouncey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Test
In summary, the teacher thinks that good engineering colleges only look at physics C test scores, and that the mechanics covered in physics B won't be nearly enough to get a good grade in an engineering program. The book Barron's recommends would be helpful for studying physics B.
jouncey
I need help deciding which AP Physics test to take.
Currently, I am a junior taking AP Physics BC, which my teacher claims is between AP Physics B and C. It looks like all we will learn this year is mechanics, maybe touch on electricity. Our teacher isn’t giving us any AP test questions or practice, but I think he is covering the material well, explaining the concepts and equations thoroughly.
My teacher says good engineering colleges will only notice me if I take the AP Physics C test. He says his course doesn’t cover much of the C test and I won’t have enough time to study for it.
I bought a AP Barron’s Physics C book (barely opened, so I can still return it).
I’m planning to major in engineering (probably mechanical) in college.
How much more material does Physics C cover than Physics B? Would the Physics C book also be helpful for studying Physics B?
I understand the concepts taught in class well and so far I am maintaining a high A. Which test should I take? Do good colleges really only care about 5s on the C test?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
One more general question:
Is it better to get a 4 on the C test or a 5 on the B test?

Also, if I take the C test, I would just take mechanics.

Hello,

From my experience, many schools will not even accept credit from the physics B test for engineering majors. physics B has broader, lower-level coverage than physics C, with the biggest difference being the use of some calculus in physics C.

As a mechanical engineering student in a top-ten undergraduate program, I advocate avoiding the physics B test, as it likely won't count for anything. That said, you should be pretty confident before attempting the physics C test. My school requires a 5. Most list the requirements online. Look into the schools you are considering to see what you would need.

I hope this helps. If you need more clarification, feel free to ask.

I got a 5 on both Physics C tests and my undergrad school didn't care.

I was in a similar situation to yours where the teacher didn't really care about the AP tests and didn't attempt to cover the material on them. I think I self-studied from Barron's as well. Give it your best shot, but don't expect it to count for anything, necessarily.

1. What is the difference between AP Physics B and C?

AP Physics B is an algebra-based course that covers a broad range of topics in physics, while AP Physics C is a calculus-based course that focuses on mechanics and electricity/magnetism in more depth.

2. Which AP Physics course is more beneficial for engineering majors?

AP Physics C is typically more beneficial for engineering majors as it covers the fundamental concepts and applications of calculus in physics, which are important for engineering courses. However, taking both courses can also be beneficial.

3. Will taking both AP Physics B and C improve my chances of being accepted into an engineering program?

While taking both courses can demonstrate a strong interest in physics and engineering, it is not necessary to take both to be accepted into an engineering program. Admissions committees typically look at a variety of factors, including overall academic performance, extracurricular activities, and personal essays.

4. Is it necessary to take AP Physics C to excel in engineering courses?

No, it is not necessary to take AP Physics C to excel in engineering courses. However, a strong foundation in calculus-based physics can be beneficial for understanding more advanced concepts in engineering.

5. Can I switch from AP Physics B to C or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from one course to the other, but it is important to consult with your teacher and school counselor first to ensure that you are prepared for the course material and that it fits with your academic goals.