My Academic Achievements - No Quotes Here

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academic
In summary, Char achieved impressive scores on multiple AP exams, including a 4 in German and a 5 in Physics C, despite skipping half of the free response section. They are proud of their accomplishments and plan to attend Washington State University where they can skip several courses. Other students and parents congratulate Char and discuss their own AP scores and college plans.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
I'm just so proud of these that I want to post them:

Chemistry: 5
European History: 4
German: 4
Calculus BC: 5
Calculus AB Subscore: 5
Physics C - Mechanics: 5

My biggest surprise was the 4 in German... But the 5 in Physics was a nice surprise too. I pretty much skipped half of the free response section, so the 5 was welcome.

Sorry, but like I said, I'm so proud of these I had to post them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Char. Limit said:

My biggest surprise was the 4 in German... But the 5 in Physics was a nice surprise too. I pretty much skipped half of the free response section, so the 5 was welcome.

Congratulations Char!

That's awesome

Evo said:
Congratulations Char!
So that should take care of your first semester freshman courses, right?

Yours are admirable scores. What university do you plan on attending?

I remembering running until I could find someone to share my 800 Math SAT.

"With a breakthrough of this magnitude, I'm confident you will get any placement you like." (A Beautiful Mind)

Congratulations!,
I believe it is out of 5 not 100:rofl:

Evo said:
So that should take care of your first semester freshman courses, right?

Well, looking at the Washington State University checklist (that's where I'm going, Loren), I can skip the following courses:

Mathematics 171
Mathematics 172
Chemistry 105
Chemistry 106
German 101
Foreign Langauge 100
History 101 (GenEd 110)
History 102 (GenEd 111)
Physics Elective

My god, that's a lot of courses skipped... is that a semester?

AP Government and Politics 5
AP Comparative 4
AP Biology 5
AP Macroeconomics 5
AP Microeconomics 5
AP Environmental Science 5
AP Calculus BC/AB 5/5
AP Spanish 4
AP English 3
AP Physics C 5/5

These are my scores from the tests I took this year. Fail English right? The only one that really mattered too.

Char. Limit said:

That's really fantastic - you have good reason to feel proud, that's a great accomplishment!

Char.,

Just don't run naked through the streets shouting "Eureka!"

Anonymous217 said:
AP Government and Politics 5
AP Comparative 4
AP Biology 5
AP Macroeconomics 5
AP Microeconomics 5
AP Environmental Science 5
AP Calculus BC/AB 5/5
AP Spanish 4
AP English 3
AP Physics C 5/5

These are my scores from the tests I took this year. Fail English right? The only one that really mattered too.
I don't think 3 is failing, but it won't retire coursework. and CONGRATULATIONS! My daughter went the AP route and was able to skip a lot of courses. She's been maintaining a 4.0 GPA at college and hopes to attend law school at Stanford, sounds like both of you will be on the high road also!

Any Stanford alums out there that she can network with? (I'm her mom, what can I say?)

I'm not sure what these all mean but it sounds like it's good so: CONGRATZ CHAR!

zomgwtf said:
I'm not sure what these all mean but it sounds like it's good so: CONGRATZ CHAR!
AP in the US is "Advanced Placement", the highest score is a 5. Scoring high on these courses will replace related college courses (they are worth semester credits).

The specific AP credit depends on the college. UCs accept 3s or higher from most of the AP tests as credit. An exception would be English Comp, which requires a 5 for full credit and exemption from R&C courses (the test I got a 3 in...). Ivy Leagues are much harder and although it varies upon each one, they usually accept only 5s on selective tests, meaning some tests aren't worth anything. This also includes schools that are similar to the Ivy Leagues, such as Stanford, MIT, Caltech, etc.

Congratulations both of you.

Char. Limit said:

Congratulations!

Did you get your scores in the mail? I'm still waiting on mine.

Congrats Char.limit & Anonymous217 :biggrin:

You kids are lucky! Great job BTW! My school did not offer AP classes, so I had to take the dumbest classes my first quarter at college. It really set me back too, well that, and working full time will also do it.

I got:

AP US History - 5
AP Biology- 4 (a very welcome surprise)
AP Calculus AB - 4 (a very, very nice surprise considering I opened a calc book for the first time on February 2nd, wasn't in the class at my HS, and I was only one of two juniors taking it at my school)

Next year I hope to take Physics C- Mechanics and Electromagnetism , and Calculus BC. I am unsure if ill take more. Both of these are going to be self study as my high school offers only a general physics course and AB calculus.

Great job on your tests. Physics C is notoriously lenient on the free response section. As long as you have covered all the material, whether in class or by yourself, it shouldn't be a problem. Calculus BC when you've already done AB well is not a lot of work for a year.

Jilvin said:
I got:

AP US History - 5
AP Biology- 4 (a very welcome surprise)
AP Calculus AB - 4 (a very, very nice surprise considering I opened a calc book for the first time on February 2nd, wasn't in the class at my HS, and I was only one of two juniors taking it at my school)

Next year I hope to take Physics C- Mechanics and Electromagnetism , and Calculus BC. I am unsure if ill take more. Both of these are going to be self study as my high school offers only a general physics course and AB calculus.

Tedjn said:
Great job on your tests. Physics C is notoriously lenient on the free response section. As long as you have covered all the material, whether in class or by yourself, it shouldn't be a problem. Calculus BC when you've already done AB well is not a lot of work for a year.

Indeed, great job on your tests (although I don't know how good that is for AP Biology). Tedjn is right, BC will not be a problem for you at all. I'm not so sure about Physics C, but as long as you've practiced you should be fine. Good luck!

Char. Limit said:
Well, looking at the Washington State University checklist (that's where I'm going, Loren), I can skip the following courses:

Mathematics 171
Mathematics 172
Chemistry 105
Chemistry 106
German 101
Foreign Langauge 100
History 101 (GenEd 110)
History 102 (GenEd 111)
Physics Elective

My god, that's a lot of courses skipped... is that a semester?

More like two semesters. At most US universities, a normal semester's course load is five courses.

jtbell said:
More like two semesters. At most US universities, a normal semester's course load is five courses.
I'm looking at my daughter suggested 4 year plan for a BS in Physics.

First semester: calculus I, composition (English I), chemistry I, a humanities course, and a physics seminar course. 16.5 hours

Second semester: calculus II, critical writing (English II), Physics I, and a social science course. 15 hours.

Looks like her second year coming up is where the Math and Physics fun begins.

dlgoff said:
Looks like her second year coming up is where the Math and Physics fun begins.

Composition and critical writing :devil: Perhaps more importantly, it's when the pain ends.

Physics B - 5
AP English Lit - 5
AP US Hist - 4

Sorry I'm just so inadequate and don't get all 5's on 8+ AP's...

Tedjn said:
Composition and critical writing :devil: Perhaps more importantly, it's when the pain ends.
From my experience. YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. :rofl:

I took three AP's this year:

Biology - 4
US History - 4
English Langauge and Composition - 4

I was a little disappointed with the 4 on English, but I heard the curve for that test is ruthless and very few people get 5s.

bleedblue1234 said:
Sorry I'm just so inadequate and don't get all 5's on 8+ AP's...

If it makes you feel any better, I got three 5s and a 4 in all of high school.

Is it possible to do Physics C-Mechanics and not Electromagnetism?
I did all the AP's we have in Panama, Physics, Chemistry, Calculus AB and Macroeconomics.
I asked my teacher to let me do Physics C instead of B because I felt that with calculus it wouldn't be much harder, but it was too late to ask CollegeBoard for the exams. Physics B is almost useless for skipping a course in college, so is Calculus AB, but oh well, I did learn a lot during this courses and that's what matters at the end.
What I'm much more proud of is my 800 is both Physics and Chemistry in SAT II, let's see if I manage my way to the 800 in SAT Math.

1. What are academic achievements?

Academic achievements are accomplishments or successes in the academic realm, such as receiving high grades, completing a degree or certification, or participating in research projects.

2. Why are academic achievements important?

Academic achievements are important because they demonstrate a person's knowledge, skills, and dedication to their field of study. They can also open up opportunities for further education, career advancement, and recognition.

3. How can I improve my academic achievements?

To improve academic achievements, one can set specific goals, develop effective study habits, seek help from teachers or tutors, and actively participate in class and extracurricular activities related to their field of study.

4. Do academic achievements guarantee success?

No, academic achievements do not guarantee success. While they can certainly contribute to a person's success, other factors such as hard work, determination, and networking also play important roles.

5. How should I include my academic achievements on a resume or CV?

When including academic achievements on a resume or CV, it is important to highlight the most relevant and impressive achievements, such as awards, publications, and research experience. It is also important to provide context and explain the significance of these achievements.