Did You Know About AP Tests for College Credits?

• Schools
  • Thread starter myshadow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap College
In summary: It's worth it to get college credit for high school courses. In summary, an acquaintance told me that I need to take an AP test to get college credit for high school AP courses that I already completed. However, I'm finding out about this after I already graduated from college. I could have saved money if I took the exams while I was still in high school.
myshadow
I was talking to an acquaintance the other day and I found out that I had to take an AP test to get college credit for high school AP courses. The only thing is I'm finding this out after having already graduated from college two years ago with a BSME.

I took a bunch of AP courses back in high school because my advisor kept telling me to, but I never once took an AP test because I didn't know about them. I'm about 99.999% sure my advisor and teachers never told me about them. I don't remember the exact courses, but I remember taking a ton of AP English, Precalc, Physics, and Chemistry. I think there were others. Did this happen to anyone else? man this pisses me off. I could have saved tuition money.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is really, really hard to believe. Are you sure you are not confusing AP with "honors" courses? Maybe your high school used them interchangeably and didn't offer the exams. There is no such thing as AP Precalc.

When I took AP courses, the whole point was to prepare you for the exam. So I don't know what you would be doing in an AP course if you didn't even know there was an exam.

Stengah said:
This is really, really hard to believe. Are you sure you are not confusing AP with "honors" courses? Maybe your high school used them interchangeably and didn't offer the exams. There is no such thing as AP Precalc.

I also find the OP very hard to believe. I am wondering if he/she is confusing AP with CLEP? There is a CLEP test in Precalculus (see http://clep.collegeboard.org/exam and click on the "Science & Mathematics" tab).

Anyway, there is no point in dwelling over this if you've already graduated from college. There's no guarantee that you would have received college credit anyway, even if you had taken the AP or CLEP tests.

Last edited:
Nah, they were definitely advanced placement courses. Honors classes was junior high stuff. I took an AP english course and after that my advisor kept telling me to take the other ones. College credit was one of the main advertising points that was always brought up. I just never knew I had to take a test. I always thought that if I passed the classes I was good to go. I've never heard of CLEP either.

Yeah, I guess there's no point dwelling on it now. I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else (I guess not) or if there was some way to get credits for grad school.

1. What are AP tests for college credits?

AP tests are exams offered by the College Board that allow high school students to receive college credit for certain subjects. These exams are typically taken at the end of the school year and cover material that is equivalent to a college-level course.

2. How do I sign up for AP tests?

To sign up for AP tests, you will need to speak with your high school counselor or AP coordinator. They will provide you with information on the registration process and deadlines. You will also need to create an account on the College Board website and register for the specific exams you wish to take.

3. Can AP tests save me money on college tuition?

Yes, receiving a passing score on an AP test can potentially save you money on college tuition. Many colleges and universities offer credit or advanced placement for AP scores, which can allow you to skip introductory courses and graduate earlier.

4. How many AP tests should I take?

The number of AP tests you should take depends on your personal goals and abilities. It is important to consider your workload and whether you can handle the additional studying and exams. It is also important to choose subjects that align with your interests and potential college major.

5. Can I take AP tests even if I am not enrolled in an AP class?

Yes, you can take AP tests even if you are not enrolled in an AP class. However, it is recommended that you have a strong understanding of the subject material and have completed coursework in that subject before taking the exam. You will also need to self-study and prepare for the exam on your own.