APA Citation and Format: Resources & Links

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of having to use multiple citation formats, with one person looking for good links to help with APA citation and another expressing dislike for the Hodges Harbrace Handbook. They also discuss the difficulty in finding specific citations in different formats.
Sting
Anyone know of some good links that provide information on APA citation and format?

Physics news on Phys.org
Brief:
http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citapa.htm
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/research/r_apa.html

Last edited:
Thanks Greg!

I'm trying to find a remedy due to years of MLA corruption at the hands of English professors.

Personally I'm sick of all the formats and it seems every class wants you to cite in a different one.

Yes, I can understand why you would be sick of it. Settling on one type of citation (perhaps taking to good points from both?) would be ideal.

I have a Harbrace Handbook and it has a few APA citations but mostly MLA citations. I am writing a paper on Linear Transformations for the Physics Post and I wanted to cite a lecture (but it [the Harbrace] only offers lectures in MLA, not APA). I had the hardest time trying to find it for APA standards. Then, when I needed to cite a website for my English paper, the Harbrace offers the citation in APA, but not MLA. It is very vexing.

Do you mean Hodges Harbrace Handbook? I despise that book. Anyone want to buy it?

Do you mean Hodges Harbrace Handbook? I despise that book. Anyone want to buy it?

Yep, that awful awful awful book.

I would burn mine but that would be a waste of ATP molecules on my part.

1. What is APA citation and format?

APA citation and format is a style guide used for academic writing in the social sciences, such as psychology, sociology, and education. It provides guidelines for formatting papers, citing sources, and creating references lists.

2. Why is it important to use APA citation and format?

Using APA citation and format ensures that your paper is consistent, organized, and properly gives credit to the sources you have used. It also allows others to locate and verify the sources you have referenced in your paper.

3. What are the basic elements of an APA citation?

The basic elements of an APA citation include the author's last name, first initial, publication year, title of the source, and publication information. For example: Smith, J. (2019). The art of citing sources. New York, NY: Publishing Company.

4. How do I cite a source with multiple authors in APA format?

If a source has two authors, include both authors' last names and the publication year in parentheses. For sources with three or more authors, include the first author's last name followed by "et al." and the publication year. For example: (Johnson & Smith, 2018) or (Johnson et al., 2018).

5. Where can I find more information about APA citation and format?

The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA) is the official guide for APA citation and format. It can be found in most libraries and can also be purchased online. Additionally, the APA website and other online resources provide helpful tips and examples for using APA citation and format.