Exploring Plasmas: The 99% of the Universe You May Not Know About

In summary, a high school student in New Brunswick, Canada is researching plasma for an APA paper and is struggling to find concrete information. After conducting online research, the student has discovered that plasma makes up 99% of the universe and is a heated gas. They are looking for resources that are easy to understand without complex equations or diagrams. A possible starting point for their research is the Wikipedia article on plasma, which provides an overview and links to other resources. The student is encouraged to define plasma and discuss its practical applications in their paper.
Brett13
Im in High School in New Brunswick, Canada and I am doing an APA research paper on plasma( or at least trying to). And I've been looking around the internet and found some interesting stuff. But basically the only thing I've gotten out of my research( which has been mainly online books/papers) is that plasma is 99% of the universe and its a heated gas. I have also found some examples of plasma but nothing concrete that I can really write a Grade 12 Chemistry paper on. I need something that I can actually understand without going into complex equations and diagrams like the maxwellian velocity curve. Is there any way someone could send me a URL or tell me some things about Plasma? It would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Brett13 said:
Im in High School in New Brunswick, Canada and I am doing an APA research paper on plasma( or at least trying to). And I've been looking around the internet and found some interesting stuff. But basically the only thing I've gotten out of my research( which has been mainly online books/papers) is that plasma is 99% of the universe and its a heated gas. I have also found some examples of plasma but nothing concrete that I can really write a Grade 12 Chemistry paper on. I need something that I can actually understand without going into complex equations and diagrams like the maxwellian velocity curve. Is there any way someone could send me a URL or tell me some things about Plasma? It would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the PF. You've chosen a very interesting and practical subject. Here is a reasonable intro article, with links to other resources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics )

At your level, I'd suggest initially defining what a plasma is (ionized gas), and discussing many of the practical applications and uses of plasmas. The article should give you additional ideas for your paper. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is plasma?

Plasma is the fourth state of matter, consisting of a hot, ionized gas made up of positively and negatively charged particles.

Why is plasma important in scientific research?

Plasma is important in scientific research because it is the most abundant state of matter in the universe and has unique properties that make it useful for a variety of applications, such as in energy production and space exploration.

What is an APA research paper?

An APA research paper is a type of academic paper that follows the formatting and citation guidelines set by the American Psychological Association (APA). It is commonly used in the social sciences and involves presenting research findings and arguments in a standardized format.

How is an APA research paper on plasma structured?

An APA research paper on plasma typically includes an abstract, introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and references sections. It also follows specific guidelines for formatting, in-text citations, and references list.

What are some potential topics for an APA research paper on plasma?

Some potential topics for an APA research paper on plasma include the properties and applications of plasma in various fields, such as astrophysics, materials science, and medicine. Other topics may include the effects of plasma on the environment, potential uses for plasma in energy production, and the latest advancements in plasma technology.