Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apache helicopter fires on crowd

1. Sep 13, 2004 #1
    This was on our news this evening. They showed film of a US Apache helicopter firing on a crowd of civilians. Since a news cerw was right there, we saw the reporter get hit and die right in front of the camera, just as others around him also died.

Also: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/19287CF7-A5CE-4D8F-988B-F3CB37B6F1FF.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not a good idea to interfere with combat troops in combat. Those people chose to give up their "civilian" status and died for it. They took their chances and paid the consequences.

4. Sep 13, 2004 #3
    Good grief. It's the fault of civilians when they get shot by military aircraft, when they're in their own civilian cities?

So if I was flying around in New York, and had my tanks occupying the ground, and troops everywhere, would it be the fault of the civilians there if I dropped a few cluster bombs?

5. Sep 13, 2004 #4
    making gross abstract comparisons doesn't make you any more right (less wrong)

6. Sep 13, 2004 #5
    How did the armored car get destroyed? Why were "civialians" on top of it and around it celebrating its destruction? It was still burning, so how long ago was it attacked? Were American troops killed in its destruction?
    Also, did anyone read many died? I couldn't find it anywhere though they said people died. (im not trying to be sarcastic, i actually want to know)

7. Sep 13, 2004 #6

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Absolute rubbish, if Gehngis Khan was in the US ar,my I'm sure you'd manage to come up with some excuse. Infact only by being actively involved in hostilites do you give up your 'civilian statu's, besides which there were no American troops in the immediate vicinty fo them to 'interfere' with, the personel carrier had been abandoned.

8. Sep 13, 2004 #7
    Which is it?

9. Sep 13, 2004 #8
    you think those two are mutually exclusive?

10. Sep 13, 2004 #9
    Certainly, if the civilians were celebrating, as Healey said.

11. Sep 13, 2004 #10
  12. Sep 13, 2004 #11
    Now that's funny.

13. Sep 13, 2004 #12
    That's not.

14. Sep 13, 2004 #13

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The incident was captured on TV, despite the prescence of some fighters the crowd was still mostly civilians and no-one in it posed any therat to any American forces. Completely unjustifed, if this was one of the other coalstion forces you can bet that the personal responsible would be court-martialed, but I just can't see thta happening in this case.

15. Sep 13, 2004 #14
    I do so tire of these games:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On fire, celbrating on top.

16. Sep 13, 2004 #15
    The death of the journalist is tragic indeed, but he probably knew the full risks associated with his job in his area.

Don't the terrorists know that its standard U.S. policy to destroy damaged American vehicles that cannot be recovered so as to keep it out of the hands of the enemy? Sounds like they walked right into it.

17. Sep 13, 2004 #16

kat

I wonder if their embedded reporter had to sign a release like ours did....

18. Sep 13, 2004 #17
    Do they have any brains at all? I am astounded that anyone would be so stupid as to stand on top of a burning military vehicle.

I think one of the biggest problems we face are the hordes of morons we encounter who have no respect or understanding of the dangers of war.

19. Sep 13, 2004 #18

kat

Oh, they understand. That was a great photo op, either way it becomes useful. Showing the Mighty Sadre's foriegn fighters dancing on the burning american vehicle triumphantly or showing the poor dumb iraqi's being destroyed by the evil americans. It's all good copy and feed for the Propaganda machine.

20. Sep 13, 2004 #19
    What does a terrorist look like? They look pretty much like any civilian, except maybe when they ae carrying a flag that indicates they are part of a terrorist organization and dancing on top of a burning USA military vehicle, then they look a lot more like terrorists.

The incident should be investigated before we suggest a court martial.

21. Sep 13, 2004 #20
    Oh, jeez, you will defend the actions of those on "your side" at any cost. Just because you don't like what they were doing (celebrating on top of the vehicle, etc.) does no make killing them by firing (apparently indiscriminately) into a crowd justified.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?