Roller Coaster Car: Apparent Weight vs. True Weight

In summary: I squared both sides 4v^2 = rw/m and solved for weight. w=(4mv^2)/rThe left hand side of the equation is just 4v^2. That's not a weight. Set each side equal to the apparent weight, and solve for the real weight.so i thouth that the apparent weight would be 4 times the actual weight, giving me a 4 to 1 ratio. this seems to be wrong. anybody know were i took a wrong turn. any help would be apreciated. thanks.In summary, the ratio of the roller coaster car's apparent weight to its true weight at twice the critical speed is 1
sevens
A roller coaster car crosses the top of a circular loop-the-loop at twice the critical speed.

What is the ratio of the car's apparent weight to its true weight?

from my notes i have that Velocity_critical= squareroot ( r w / m)

v = sqrt(rw/m)

so what i did was multiply v times 2 because the problem states were going at twice the critical speed.

so now my equation looked like

2v = sqrt(rw/m)

I squared both sides

4v^2 = rw/m

and solved for weight.

w=(4mv^2)/r

so i thouth that the apparent weight would be 4 times the actual weight, giving me a 4 to 1 ratio. this seems to be wrong. anybody know were i took a wrong turn. any help would be apreciated.
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this:
[tex]G_a=mg-F_{cf}[/tex]
where
[tex]F_{cf}=\frac{mv^2}{R}[/tex]
and [tex]v=2v_{critical}[/tex]

The ratio is given then by [tex]\frac{G_a}{mg}[/tex].

Last edited:
I did the same thing you did, and the answer is 1/4.

It's still not right :confused:

clive said:
Try this:
[tex]G_a=mg-F_{cf}[/tex]
where
[tex]F_{cf}=\frac{mv^2}{R}[/tex]
and [tex]v=2v_{critical}[/tex]

The ratio is given then by [tex]\frac{G_a}{mg}[/tex].
What is [tex]G_a[/tex] ? :confused: :confused:

sevens said:
from my notes i have that Velocity_critical= squareroot ( r w / m)

v = sqrt(rw/m)
In this formula, w stands for the actual weight (w = mg), not the apparent weight. The apparent weight equals the normal force that the track exerts on the the car. (More accurately, the apparent weight is the reaction force to the normal force.) By definition of "critical speed", if the car is moving at the critical speed then the apparent weight at the top of the motion is zero, since there is no normal force.

Similar to what clive explained, consider the forces acting on the car:
- normal force, acting down (this is the apparent weight)
- real weight, acting down (w = mg)

Now apply Newton's 2nd law with centripetal acceleration:
[itex]F_n + w = mv^2/r[/itex] (I take down as positive.)

So the apparent weight is:
[itex]F_n = mv^2/r - w[/itex]

so what i did was multiply v times 2 because the problem states were going at twice the critical speed.

so now my equation looked like

2v = sqrt(rw/m)
No. If the critical speed is sqrt(rw/m), then twice the critical speed is 2sqrt(rw/m). Now use that value in the correct formula for apparent weight given above.

1. What is the difference between apparent weight and true weight of a roller coaster car?

The apparent weight of a roller coaster car is the weight that is perceived by the riders due to the forces acting on them during the ride, such as acceleration and gravity. The true weight, on the other hand, is the actual weight of the car without any external forces acting on it.

2. How does the apparent weight of a roller coaster car change during the ride?

The apparent weight of a roller coaster car can change throughout the ride as the car experiences acceleration and deceleration. For example, when the car is going up a hill, the apparent weight may feel lighter as the car is moving against gravity. On the other hand, during a drop, the apparent weight may feel heavier as the car is accelerating downwards.

3. What factors can affect the apparent weight of a roller coaster car?

The apparent weight of a roller coaster car can be affected by a number of factors, such as the speed of the car, the shape of the track, the size and weight of the riders, and the force of gravity. Even the position of the riders in the car can affect the apparent weight as those in the front may experience different forces than those in the back.

4. How is the apparent weight of a roller coaster car measured?

The apparent weight of a roller coaster car can be measured using a scale that is attached to the car or by using sensors that can measure the forces acting on the car. This data is then used to calculate the apparent weight of the car at different points during the ride.

5. Why is understanding the difference between apparent weight and true weight important for designing roller coasters?

Understanding the difference between apparent weight and true weight is important for designing roller coasters because it allows engineers to calculate and predict the forces that riders will experience during the ride. This information is crucial for ensuring the safety and comfort of the riders, as well as designing thrilling and enjoyable roller coasters.