Apartment Rent Costs: Australia (Sydney, Melbourne)

• Thread starter Seydlitz
  • Start date
In summary, average market price for a furnished apartment in a major city in Australia is around AUS $1,041 (US $969). The size of the apartment is not really important, as long as it is not too far from the city and does not require a car to get to it. It's good to hear that I'm looking at at least average price and not too high or too low. I thought that amount is too expensive before, but it seems that they're quite reasonable.
Seydlitz
Hi guys,

I'd just like to know how much do you think you are willing to pay for apartment rents per week. What is the reasonable rate in your country? If it's possible I'd also like to know the size of the apartments, to which you are referring, whether the apartment is furnished or not, and whether the rate includes electricity, water and heating. I'm currently looking in Australia, big cities like Sydney and Melbourne.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to live in London and have started working there again so will be moving back soon. A reasonable rate for a small flat is around £600 per month per person (AUS $1,041 USA $969). That accounts for furnished, bills not included and somewhere not way out of the way.

Where I live now which is relatively rural and about 30 miles out of London that much would probably pay for a large flat or a small house.

Ryan_m_b said:
I used to live in London and have started working there again so will be moving back soon. A reasonable rate for a small flat is around £600 per month per person (AUS $1,041 USA $969). That accounts for furnished, bills not included and somewhere not way out of the way.

Where I live now which is relatively rural and about 30 miles out of London that much would probably pay for a large flat or a small house.

It's good to hear that I'm looking at at least average price and not too high or too low. I thought that amount is too expensive before, but it seems that they're quite reasonable.

Would you prefer getting larger and more comfortable flat far from the city or getting smaller one right next to working place/university, considering transportation cost as well?

Personally I'd rather be as central as possible. I don't need much space so a small flat shared with some mates would be fine for me. Transport costs would be mostly the same, I won't be taking a car and monthly travel cards are a standard price. I could stay where I am and continue commuting but as I said the area is pretty rural and it's not exactly a thrilling place to spend your mid-twenties.

I share your view on this matter. The thing is the renter has offered a price of about 800GBP (after conversion from AU, exclusive of electricity and water) and the room's size isn't larger than 30 sqm. So I just might need to search further.

Yeah I would if I was you, or at least try to haggle it down. Tbh given the cost of land in London I'd be happy with a 30m2 room but couldn't afford more than 650, 700 at a push monthly. How hard is it to find a place in Australian cities?

I used to pay €850 (AUS $1230, $US 1150) for a 55m2 furnished apartment excl. gas and electricity, it was a reasonable price (these days it can even be considered cheap) to live in the city centre. As for your question where to live, it depends on your own requirements. For me access to transportation was important, so that limited the search to a certain radius around subway/train hubs. Size of an apartment is not that important, the neighbourhood is.

To check Amsterdam prices: http://www.funda.nl/huur/amsterdam/sorteer-woonopp-op/

Last edited:
Seydlitz said:
Hi guys,

I'd just like to know how much do you think you are willing to pay for apartment rents per week. What is the reasonable rate in your country? If it's possible I'd also like to know the size of the apartments, to which you are referring, whether the apartment is furnished or not, and whether the rate includes electricity, water and heating. I'm currently looking in Australia, big cities like Sydney and Melbourne.

Thank You
Well, it depends on one's economic status. When I was a student, I could find apartments from US$200-400/mo. When I received my first job, I looked at apartments close to work and they went for US$1100-1200/mo. I settled on one that was ~$1200/mo, but I lived about 25 miles from work in a rural area.

In NY City, small apartments could run $1000 - several $K/mo, depending on the neighborhood. The more expensive an apartment, the more likely one will need roommates.

Thanks guys for your insight. My parents and I have passed the point of online search, we have actually inspected several prospective properties and are weighting the pros and cons of the options. In general we just want to get the best deal as possible, and knowing average market price as well as your personal experience really help us in making the decision.

The property market in Melbourne is quite dense as far as I can see, the demands are pretty high. Many international students want the lowest possible cost just to stay, even though the apartment itself is not that good or comfortable. There exist 17 sqm apartments with a rent cost of almost 700GBP, including water and limited electricity. (you need to pay the bills if it exceed some point) But I doubt one can hold on in such an apartment comfortably in long term. Having said that, it's not only students who are having problem, city residents also reported difficulty in renting because of long waiting list.

Seydlitz said:
Thanks guys for your insight. My parents and I have passed the point of online search, we have actually inspected several prospective properties and are weighting the pros and cons of the options. In general we just want to get the best deal as possible, and knowing average market price as well as your personal experience really help us in making the decision.
What does knowing how much rent I pay in America have to do with the price of apartments in Australia? Absolutely nothing. You cannot use what people pay in other parts of the world in making your decision. Just FYI. Here you should only be paying $200 a month for the apartment you described. Oh, but in LA, you'll have to pay $1,500 a month for the same apartment. Do you see how it's not relevant to how much you should pay there? There is NO world "average market price". You need to look at what apartments go for THERE.

What is the average rent cost for apartments in Sydney?

The average rent cost for apartments in Sydney is around $550-$600 per week.

How much does rent typically increase each year in Melbourne?

Rent in Melbourne typically increases by 3-5% each year, depending on the location and type of apartment.

What factors influence the rent cost of apartments in Australia?

The rent cost of apartments in Australia can be influenced by factors such as location, size, amenities, and demand in the housing market.

What is the average square footage of an apartment in Sydney?

The average square footage of an apartment in Sydney ranges from 500-700 square feet.

Are there any additional fees or charges to consider when renting an apartment in Australia?

In addition to rent, tenants may also need to pay for utilities, parking, and maintenance fees. Some landlords may also require a security deposit or rental insurance.