Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Aperture fever cure?

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    my 2 cents: you guys never going to be happy with the scope that you bought or accessories! you'll get the disease called "aperture fever " and there's no cure for it ! yes, there's telescopes for every budget out there, but you need to start by writing down the reasons why you want it : stargazing, astro-photography, research ! when it comes to viewing, aperture rules ! the bigger the better ! those dobs telescopes are a real deal for the price that you pay! attention:the bigger it is the heavier! in deed, a bigger dob, so called a light bucket, will provide you the most spectaculars images of heavens ! you always need to make a compromise ! if you never used a scope, start with a pair of binos ! from 7 or 10x50 and up it will give you an idea of the skies! dont go with a variable bino (meaning 7-15x50 zooming options) because the optics are bad. and i dont think you wanna pay at least 500$ for a better pair. just keep in mind that once you got bitten by the astro bug, is over ! you always going to get a better eyepiece, a better collimation tool, a better filter...and the list goes on !
    So, good luck! start by visiting your local astronomy clubs, dont aspect to see in an eyepiece the same image that you see on Hubble's website ( because the location of an DSO-deep space object- is very faraway, the amount of the light gathered by a human eye is not enough to excite the cells in your eye to start seeing colors.
    this is my point of view !

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: Planning to buy a first telescope?

Vali that happens with pretty much every hobby! You always want something better!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook