Apocaholics Anonymous: Join to Fight Disaster Addiction

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: Y2K.In summary, the author points out that in both the case of Y2K and other disasters, it is important to be prepared and have a change management system in place. He also points out that while people may worry about Y2K too much, it is important to remember that it does happen and that there are things that we can prepare for.
Andre
Fight the fear of the future, the disaster addiction, and join

http://www.godward.org/commentary/Out of the Box/Apocaholics Anonymous.htm

Hi, I’m Gary and I’m a recovering Apocaholic. I am currently Apocalypse free for nearly 18 years. I left the church of the Religious Apocalypse in 1976, over 30 years ago, and I resigned from the secular church of the Financial Apocalypse in 1989. Yes, I still feel the urge to proclaim the end of all things, from time to time, but I white-knuckle my way to a history book for a little perspective, and then I breathe easier. If you wish to join AA, the only requirement is that you give up the adrenaline rush of media-fed fantasies...cont'd

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Funny thing about Y2K: One or some of the fixes used to correct some military computers caused part of our defenses to go blind, leaving us completely vulnerable to a nuclear missile attack. IIRC, the systems were offline for about 7 hours.

The real lesson with Y2K is that we can anticipate problems and act accordingly to either prevent disasters, or at least to minimize the damage. Had we done nothing to prepare it surely would have been at least a financial disaster.

Another example is the cold war. It took the best efforts of many brilliant men and women to prevent an inadvertant escalation of events that could have easily led to nuclear war.

We can only address the problems that we are willing to confront. Hiding and living in denial never solved any problem.

Despair and denial are the real enemies; the rest is just a problem to be solved.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Funny thing about Y2K: One or some of the fixes used to correct some military computers caused part of our defenses to go blind, leaving us completely vulnerable to a nuclear missile attack. IIRC, the systems were offline for about 7 hours.
They arent built in a redundant way?:eek::eek:

Anttech said:
They arent built in a redundant way?:eek::eek:

Redundant systems may have had the same problem...? I only know that this was made public a few years ago, and for a time, to some extent we were blind to attack. I keep thinking that this applied to the West Coast of the US.

But who needs redundant systems anyway? That's just fear mongering. :biggrin:

Redundant systems may have had the same problem
Yeah, so you patch one, leaving the other as is. The when the all clear is given on the recently patched system, patch the other. Thus you never have a black hole in your service :smile:

Doesnt the Military use a decent Change Management System? hehe

This appears to be the same incident, but the report that I heard indicated that this was only made public later, so I'm not 100% sure about this.

The most significant Y2K-related glitch came from the Pentagon, where the Defense Department reported early Saturday that one of its satellite-based guidance systems failed to properly adjust to the date change.

Officials said the satellite was down for several hours shortly after the rollover of Greenwich Mean Time, or 7 p.m. EST Friday.

Deputy Defense Secretary John Hamre said the problem was "significant" and involved a ground station that processes information from some spy satellites.

"For a period of several hours we were not able to process information from that system," Hamre said.

A backup system was put in its place. The system is functioning properly although a little bit slower than normal, according to the Pentagon.
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/01/01/y2k.wrap/

So may be that the delay was the time needed to bring back-up systems online.

...oh, I bet that it was the seriousness of the situation that was made public later.

Last edited:
Here is somebody who must be encouraged strongly to sign up for membership. It may not be too late.

http://environment.independent.co.uk/climate_change/article2609305.ece

Global warming 'is three times faster than worst predictions'

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
The real lesson with Y2K is that we can
... overreact and waste colossal sums, thereby diverting resources from ongoing problems.

In Connecticut, the DMVs couldn't register new cars, because the computer system insisted all models after 1900 weren't built yet.

(Go figure out WHY they would have the computer check the model's year against the current year :rolleyes: )

But the point is, an error like that can grind the economy to a halt!

Office_Shredder said:
In Connecticut, the DMVs couldn't register new cars, because the computer system insisted all models after 1900 weren't built yet.

(Go figure out WHY they would have the computer check the model's year against the current year :rolleyes: )

But the point is, an error like that can grind the economy to a halt!

Id say the point is errors like that did and do occur from time to time and the economy did not, gasp, grind to a halt. People deal.

1. What is Apocaholics Anonymous?

Apocaholics Anonymous is a support group for individuals who struggle with a compulsion or addiction to disaster-related content or events. This can include obsessively following news about natural disasters, preparing for the end of the world, or seeking out thrill-seeking experiences during dangerous situations.

2. How can I join Apocaholics Anonymous?

If you believe you have a problem with disaster addiction and want to join Apocaholics Anonymous, you can attend a meeting in your area or join an online support group. Meetings are open to anyone who wants to attend and are free of charge.

3. What are the benefits of joining Apocaholics Anonymous?

By joining Apocaholics Anonymous, you will have access to a supportive community of individuals who understand and can relate to your struggles. You will also have the opportunity to work through the 12-step program, which can help you overcome your addiction and develop healthier coping mechanisms.

4. Can family members or friends attend Apocaholics Anonymous meetings with me?

Apocaholics Anonymous meetings are open to anyone who wants to attend, including family members and friends. However, the focus of the meetings is on supporting individuals who struggle with disaster addiction, so it is recommended that family members and friends attend their own support groups if needed.

5. Is Apocaholics Anonymous a religious organization?

Apocaholics Anonymous is a spiritual, but not religious, organization. The 12-step program does have spiritual principles, but these are not tied to any specific religion. The group welcomes individuals of all beliefs and backgrounds.

Back