Apocalypse not

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
12/21/12 falls on my parents' anniversary. I've always found this hilarious.

Last edited:
OmCheeto
Gold Member
tumblr_mdqr3yzL471r35fnbo1_400.jpg

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I predicted, in 2006, that we would have a black president within 8 years?

--------------------------
I'd never heard of this "Barry" guy, so I claimed the president was going to be Colin Powell. :rofl: Interpreting visions is not easy.

:biggrin:

Anyway, back to business. Of course I realize that true believers will find a way to rationalize the failure. I found this a very informative study:

When Prophecy Fails and Faith Persists: A Theoretical Overview showing that creativity knows no boundaries explaining away, and it well exceeds the expected cognitive dissonance explanation of the failure. If it wasn't so :cry: you'd really :rofl: on that.

But also a bit of an objective of this thread was, that maybe doubters also come here to read this thread, wondering what to believe, especially kids, highschool etc. After reading all this and realizing how science work, they may not buy the -no doubt- hilarious adaptation strategy of the new agers.

I do think that there are some people who can be reasoned with, who will ultimately change their beliefs, so long as peope persistently confront them. I look towards pastors and ministers, and other self-proclaimed holy men and women, who now dismiss the idea of an omniscient entity as evidence, and I feel as if this conversion from irrationality to rationality is a universal occurrence.

For the others, we simply need to wait for them to die and hope that their children aren't as horribly decadent as they were.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I predicted, in 2006, that we would have a black president within 8 years?

I'd never heard of this "Barry" guy, so I claimed the president was going to be Colin Powell.Interpreting visions is not easy.

In 1969 Frank Zappa predicted a Reagan presidency.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
In 1969 Frank Zappa predicted a Reagan presidency.

Really?

Btw, I also predicted that Bush would be elected to a third term. But I heard on the radio the other day that Barry is going to pull it off.

I can't get any of my details right. :grumpy:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When December 22nd comes along, when we're all dead and the world is nothing but a smoking cinder, you all are going to feel pretty silly.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I normally just listen to people and their beliefs and leave it at that. People need to believe these things. So if you actually manage to change someone's mind you won't make them happy anyway. They are happy believing what they want to believe.

The same is true of people who have more rational beliefs. When faced with evidence contrary to established beliefs, denial is the next reaction. Whether beliefs are rational or not, as we grow older, everyone is a true believer.

Wasn't it Einstein who said that physics progresses one death at a time?

I don't personally know anyone who believes the world will end this year. There was a time a few years back when it was common to hear that the Maya had predicted it would end, but everyone I know has heard by now that 2012 is just the end of a very long cycle of star/planet movements that the Maya happened to notice and decide to keep track of.

mheslep
Gold Member
Still I believe there is a gradual scale between passionate preaching prophets with a holy mission, strong convinced believers, just believers because friends believe it and doubters who don't speak up preventing damage to their network. It's that social mechanism that I wanted to browse and understand.

I once could convince somebody that there are no chemtrails. So all is not lost.
Great signature Andre, and apropos.