Exploring Apophis' Impact on Earth in 2036

In summary, the article states that it is very difficult to alter the path of Apophis, and that it has an average orbital velocity of 30 km/s. It is impossible to land on it and match its speed, so any attempt to do so would be fruitless.
anthromom
I would like to hear speculation about Apophis and its possible impact with the Earth in 2036. I am particularly interested in whether earthlings can change the orbit of Apophis if we need to. Is it possible to rendezvous with an incoming asteroid? How fast is this asteroid traveling?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't mean to completely discredit apophis but I thought that it was deemed that apophis had a 1/12 million chance of catching the "gravitational keyhole" in 2029 that would set up a collision, thus rendering it a 0 on the Torino scale. I do remember roughly two years ago this seemed to be a hot topic. I think apophis was a 4 on the Torino scale at one point, for what it's worth.

this website seems to be a credible source, and is a pretty interesting read

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/

Last edited:
As far as altering the path of apophis, assuming an initial impact trajectory, it is very difficult. All the methods I've heard described (nuclear weapons, attachment of rockets, gravitational redirection) are either impractical or simply do not work. Looks like apophis has an average orbital velocity of ~30km/s, coupled with a mass of about 10^10kg, the thing is damn hard to move.

Edit: Ignore this in light of what Hurkyl pointed out. Didn't read the above article.

Last edited:
Nabeshin said:
As far as altering the path of apophis, assuming an initial impact trajectory, it is very difficult. All the methods I've heard described (nuclear weapons, attachment of rockets, gravitational redirection) are either impractical or simply do not work. Looks like apophis has an average orbital velocity of ~30km/s, coupled with a mass of about 10^10kg, the thing is damn hard to move.
This directly contradicts the link given by the previous poster, which states that simply placing an 8 kilogram, 17,000 square foot reflective "sheet" on the asteroid would be enough to deflect it over 4000 miles.

At 30 km/s, is it possible to land on Apophis and place reflective sheets there?

Oscar Wilde said:
I don't mean to completely discredit apophis but I thought that it was deemed that apophis had a 1/12 million chance of catching the "gravitational keyhole" in 2029 that would set up a collision, thus rendering it a 0 on the Torino scale. I do remember roughly two years ago this seemed to be a hot topic. I think apophis was a 4 on the Torino scale at one point, for what it's worth.

this website seems to be a credible source, and is a pretty interesting read

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/

Your own source says "less than 1 in 45,000," which is many orders of magnitude more likely than "1/12 million."

anthromom said:
At 30 km/s, is it possible to land on Apophis and place reflective sheets there?
Once you have matched speeds with it, its (relative) speed is 0. That has nothing to do with how difficult it is to land on it.

Jack21222 said:
Your own source says "less than 1 in 45,000," which is many orders of magnitude more likely than "1/12 million."

Glad you read it. Thanks for pointing that out...

What is Apophis?

Apophis is a near-Earth asteroid that was discovered in 2004. It is approximately 370 meters in diameter and has been classified as a potentially hazardous asteroid due to its close proximity to Earth.

How likely is it that Apophis will impact Earth in 2036?

Based on current data, the chances of Apophis colliding with Earth in 2036 are extremely low. In fact, NASA has estimated the probability to be less than 1 in 100,000. However, further observations and calculations are being done to refine this estimate.

What would happen if Apophis were to impact Earth?

The impact of Apophis on Earth would have catastrophic consequences. The energy released upon impact would be equivalent to hundreds of nuclear bombs exploding at once, causing massive destruction and potentially leading to a global catastrophe.

What is being done to prevent a potential impact in 2036?

NASA and other space agencies are constantly tracking Apophis' trajectory and gathering data to accurately predict its path. If necessary, plans are in place to potentially deflect the asteroid using various methods such as a kinetic impactor or a gravity tractor.

How can the general public stay informed about Apophis and its potential impact?

NASA regularly updates its website and social media platforms with the latest information on Apophis and other near-Earth objects. Additionally, there are various citizen science programs that allow the public to assist in tracking and monitoring the asteroid's trajectory. It is also important to rely on reputable sources for information and not fall for any false or sensationalized news about Apophis.