Apoptosis & Viruses: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
In summary, the cell can undergo apoptosis by itself, even if the cellular machinery has been redirected to produce viral products.
nobahar
Hello!
I have been reading about Viruses recently, although I was already familiar with the basic process from prior reading, and have come to wonder how a virus-infected cell can be induced to apoptose when the cellular machinery (in particular in translation) has been redirected to produce viral proteins and DNA/RNA.
Msny Thanks,
Aviv.

Biology news on Phys.org
Thanks for the response Ygggdrasil.
I think that perhaps I may have misled you as to what I was enquiring about; which is my fault, as the wording is misleading.
I have a basic undertsanding of the role of T Lymphocytes in inducing apotosis in a cell; but I have come to believe that the cell itself undertakes apotosis; and since apotosis is tightly controlled, it must involve an alteration in gene expression, altered RNA and protein expression, and so on. If the cellular machinery has been redirected to produce viral products, how can the cell undertake apotosis?
Many thanks.

nobahar said:
Thanks for the response Ygggdrasil.
I think that perhaps I may have misled you as to what I was enquiring about; which is my fault, as the wording is misleading.
I have a basic undertsanding of the role of T Lymphocytes in inducing apotosis in a cell; but I have come to believe that the cell itself undertakes apotosis; and since apotosis is tightly controlled, it must involve an alteration in gene expression, altered RNA and protein expression, and so on. If the cellular machinery has been redirected to produce viral products, how can the cell undertake apotosis?
Many thanks.

The caspases that initiate intrinsic and extrinsic apoptosis are already present in the cell. Often sequestered in other organelles (like the mitochondria during the intrinsic pathway) or as proproteins in the cytoplasm.

http://www.biooncology.com/research/apoptosis/pathways/extrinsic/"
http://www.biooncology.com/research/apoptosis/pathways/intrinsic/index.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bobze. I'll have a more in-depth look at those pathways when I get a chance.

1. What is apoptosis?

Apoptosis is a form of programmed cell death that is essential for maintaining healthy cells and tissues in the body. It is a highly regulated process that involves the activation of specific genes and signaling pathways to trigger the death of a cell.

2. How do viruses impact apoptosis?

Viruses can impact apoptosis in a variety of ways, depending on the specific virus and its interactions with the host cell. Some viruses can induce apoptosis as a means of spreading to other cells, while others can inhibit apoptosis to prolong the life of infected cells.

3. Can viruses cause cancer through disruption of apoptosis?

Yes, certain viruses have been linked to the development of cancer by disrupting the normal process of apoptosis. For example, the human papillomavirus (HPV) can interfere with the regulation of apoptosis, leading to uncontrolled cell growth and potentially cancerous tumors.

4. How can understanding apoptosis and viruses help in developing treatments?

By understanding how viruses interact with the process of apoptosis, researchers can develop targeted treatments that either prevent or induce apoptosis in infected cells. This can help in treating viral infections and also potentially aid in the development of cancer treatments.

5. Is apoptosis always harmful?

No, apoptosis is a natural and necessary process for maintaining healthy cells and tissues. It only becomes harmful when it is disrupted or dysregulated, leading to conditions such as cancer or autoimmune diseases.