Finding the Area Under a Parabola Using Archimedes' Method

In summary, the conversation discusses using Archimedes' method to find the area under a parabola and how to properly sum up the rectangles in the process. The individual has encountered an issue with the second term in the area formula, but realizes their mistake and correctly identifies the sum of the rectangles as bc.
Sculptured
I've started with Apostol's first volume of calculus and I'm already having a problem with the first exercise in the book. Weak. It asks to use Archimedes' method to find the area under a parabola from 0<x<b for a parabola where y = a*b^2 + c. Using the summation of upper/lower rectangles of width b/n and height a(k*b/n)^2 +c. Now each rectangle has an area of a(k^2)(b/n)^3 + (bc)/n. k goes from 0 to n-1 for the lower rectangles and from 1 to n for the upper rectangles. My problem comes when summing up all of the rectangles using the arithmetic summation. I get the first portion correct, but end up with (bc)/n instead of bc as the second term in the area formula. Any way that I'm approaching this incorrectly or should approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The sum bc/n+bc/n+...+bc/n (n times) is bc.

Ah, right. Stupid of me to miss that result.

1. What is "Apostol: Archimedes' Method"?

"Apostol: Archimedes' Method" is a book written by Tom M. Apostol that explores and explains the mathematical methods used by the ancient Greek mathematician Archimedes. It is a comprehensive and insightful guide to Archimedes' work and contributions to mathematics.

2. Who is the author of "Apostol: Archimedes' Method"?

The author of "Apostol: Archimedes' Method" is Tom M. Apostol, a renowned mathematician and professor at the California Institute of Technology. He has written several textbooks and research papers in the field of mathematics.

3. What makes "Apostol: Archimedes' Method" unique?

"Apostol: Archimedes' Method" is unique because it provides a comprehensive and detailed analysis of Archimedes' mathematical methods and techniques. It also includes historical context and explanations of the mathematical concepts, making it accessible to both mathematicians and non-mathematicians.

4. Is "Apostol: Archimedes' Method" suitable for beginners in mathematics?

Yes, "Apostol: Archimedes' Method" is suitable for beginners in mathematics. It includes clear and concise explanations of the mathematical concepts and techniques used by Archimedes, making it a great resource for those looking to learn more about his work.

5. How can I use "Apostol: Archimedes' Method" in my study of mathematics?

"Apostol: Archimedes' Method" can be used as a reference or supplemental resource for studying mathematics, specifically in the areas of geometry and calculus. It can also provide insight and inspiration for problem-solving and critical thinking skills in mathematics.