1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Apostol or Courant?

1. Jan 5, 2016 #1
    Im really having a hard time on deciding which of the two multi-volume books to get. I haven't read either of the two, but I do have Spivak's "Calculus", great book, and Ive been told both authors are somewhat similar to him. Any input would be much appreciated.

(And yes I have considered just getting both but Im a college student on a budget)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You already read Spivak? No need getting Apostol or Courant then. Just get something with actual new material, like an actual analysis book.

4. Jan 5, 2016 #3
    Hah, Ive tried to more than once, but I dont know if I want to just start laughing out loud or through it across the room, so Ive found that its most useful as a reference book. A few people have told me to look up the two above mentioned mathematicians because they put a similar effort into their proofs and explanations. Its the attention to detail they use that gets me.

5. Jan 5, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK. Anyway, I think Apostol is the better book here. The problems are not as theoretical as Spivak, but they are still as difficult.

May I ask you what knowledge of mathematics you have already? It is very likely you just don't have enough experience or knowledge to be able to tackle Spivak, or Apostol, or Courant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted