1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apostol Related Rates Problem

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Apostol, Vol 1: Section 4.12 Problem 26

Water flows into a hemispherical tank of radius 10 feet (flat side up). At any instant, let h denote the depth of the water, measured from the bottom, r the radius of the surface of the water, and V the volume of the water in the tank. Compute dV/dh at the instant when h=5 feet. If the water flows in at a constant rate of 5√3 cubic feet per second, compute dr/dt, the rate at which r is changing, at the instant t when h=5 feet.

2. Relevant equations

Hemispherical Volume: [2π(r^3)]/3

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to rewrite the volume in terms of h. If we consider the circle equation, its possible to say that the radius of the water volume is: r' = √[100 - (h^2)], where 100 is the radius of the tank squared and h is the height. So, we can rearrange the volume formula to: V = {2π{[100 - (h^2)]^3/2}}/3, if we derive this with respect to h, we can find: dV/dh = -2πh√[100 - (h^2)], if we change h for 5, it gives that dV/dh = -10π√75. However, according to the answers at the end, the correct answer would be 75. Sorry if I made any mistakes. I would really appreciate any tip, correction or solution. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

..."If we consider the circle equation, its possible to say that the radius of the water volume is: r' = √[100 - (h^2)], where 100 is the radius of the tank squared and h is the height."​
    This is not a hemisphere when r' < r .

4. Dec 18, 2011 #3
    So I would have to consider the spherical cap volume formula instead of hemispherical one?

5. Dec 18, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

6. Dec 18, 2011 #5
    I was able to achieve the correct result in first part. Thank you very much. Also, I made a little mistake, and r and r' are the same thing. Although I got the right answer using spherical cap formulas.
    However, when I got into the second part, I've got another problems. It asks for dr/dt. It says that dV/dt equals 5√3. I take dV/dt and rewrite it as (dV/dr)*(dr/dt). V = (π/6)*h*(3(r^2) + h^2). So I try to rewrite it in terms of 'r', using the formula: 10 = (r^2 + h^2)/2h, where 10 is the radius of the tank. I solve this equation for 'h', using quadratic formula e substitute 'h' in the volume formula for 'r'. The derivative was very long and even solving it, the result was not correct.

7. Dec 19, 2011 #6
    SammyS:
    After some searching, looking for spherical cap's formulas, I was able to derive the correct answer. Thank you very much again.

8. Dec 19, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome.

I'm glad you found the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook