Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Appalachian Trail

1. Apr 22, 2005 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

Anyone would like to hike through NY state AT portion, sometime Mid-May?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2005 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I'd like to, but will be busy and won't be able to. I hiked through the North Carolina/Tennessee portion (I'm not sure of exactly where it was, but somewhere along the border) when I was living there five years ago.

4. Apr 22, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sounds very cool, but don't expect me to catch up in time, though.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  5. Apr 22, 2005 #4

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

....... getting on any part of that trail would be awesome ........ "wrong" side of the pool though, anyone have any fav or otherwise recommendable "segments" of it ?

6. Apr 22, 2005 #5
    i live in toronto right now and have nothing to do, :tongue: can i join you ?

7. Apr 22, 2005 #6

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

The northernmost point of the AT begins/ends in Maine in Baxter State Park with a climb up Mt Katahdin. It's beautiful country and an awesome climb that isn't particularly technical (no ropes, etc needed) but gets pretty hairy on "The Knife's Edge" which connects two adjacent peaks.

8. Apr 22, 2005 #7

SOS2008

Gold Member

That sounds really wonderful, but I cannot either. Perhaps in my dreams... :uhh:

9. Apr 22, 2005 #8

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wawayanda - easy walking, apparently relatively undisturbed ecosystems (well, 'relatively'); there's also a part of the AT that goes through/near the Poconos (in PA) - sheer hell on earth if you're allergic to the pollen of the trees of the region (in spring), but a nice range of environments otherwise.

Does the NY State portion of the AT go through the Adirondacks?

10. Apr 24, 2005 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Where and when? How far are you going.

It's in the neighborhood - more or less.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?