Apparatus for a polarization filter rotator dial

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding affordable equipment for rotating and measuring the angle of polarization filter sheets. A suggestion is made to use a DIY mount with a cheap camera polarizing filter and plastic protractor or PVC plumbing tubing. It is mentioned that in the field of Optics, $150 USD is considered cheap and that cheap parts may not have good quality. However, it is also noted that basic physics experiments can be done without expensive equipment.
tryingtolearn1
Wondering where I can purchase the polarization filter rotator dial equipment? I tried searching online and couldn't find it. I will like to rotate the polarization filter sheets and measure the angle of the rotation but I can't find that equipment online.

I have attached the image below:

Screenshot (69).png

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
What sort of accuracy and spec do you need? I found this on eBay
1599906021184.png

It's a 'student' polarimeter. Is that the sort of thing you want?

Likes tryingtolearn1
tryingtolearn1 said:
I took a look and the polarizers mount are very expensive upwards of 150 USD. Do you know of any other polarizer mounts that are cheaper like less than 30 USD?
You could always make your own mount with a cheap camera polarising filter (linear not circular option) and use a circular, school type, plastic protractor. If you are into DIY you can use plastic PVC plumbing tubing. There is a wide selection of fittings that would allow the tube to be mounted on a board or a laboratory clamp stand. That sort of arrangement would cost the sort of money you're talking about and could give very adequate results with angle measurement accuracy of down to 1 degree, depending on how firm your arrangement is.

In the field of Optics KIT, 150 USD is cheap! IT'S BIG BOYS' STUFF. :wink: .

Likes tryingtolearn1 and Dr Transport
sophiecentaur said:
In the field of Optics KIT, 150 USD is cheap! IT'S BIG BOYS' STUFF.

You get what you pay for, cheap parts are just that, cheap and no quality.

Dr Transport said:
You get what you pay for, cheap parts are just that, cheap and no quality.
You can do many elementary experiments in Physics without "quality" equipment. School physics exists on what can be snobbishly called rubbish. It can be a terrible waste of money to go for 'the best' if you don't plan to make a lifetime study of a topic.

1. What is an apparatus for a polarization filter rotator dial?

An apparatus for a polarization filter rotator dial is a scientific instrument used to rotate a polarizing filter in order to control the direction of polarized light passing through it. The dial allows for precise and adjustable rotation of the filter, making it a useful tool in various scientific experiments and studies.

2. How does a polarization filter rotator dial work?

A polarization filter rotator dial typically consists of a circular dial with a polarizing filter attached to it. The dial can be rotated to change the orientation of the filter, which in turn changes the direction of polarized light passing through it. This allows for the manipulation and control of polarized light in scientific experiments.

3. What are the applications of a polarization filter rotator dial?

A polarization filter rotator dial is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, optics, and biology. It can be used in experiments involving polarized light, such as studying the properties of light, analyzing the structure of materials, and observing biological samples under polarized light.

4. How accurate is a polarization filter rotator dial?

The accuracy of a polarization filter rotator dial depends on the quality and precision of the instrument. However, most dials are designed to provide precise and adjustable rotation of the filter, making them highly accurate for scientific experiments.

5. Can a polarization filter rotator dial be used with different types of polarizing filters?

Yes, a polarization filter rotator dial is typically designed to be compatible with various types of polarizing filters, such as linear, circular, and elliptical polarizers. This allows for flexibility and versatility in scientific experiments that require different types of polarized light.