Clarifying the Calculation of Apparent and Actual Depth

• Thread starter nblu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Depth
In summary: Have a great weekend!In summary, the conversation is about a question asking for the calculation of the "actual" depth given a few measurements. The original poster has already found the answer and is confused about the unit "1.0m" mentioned in the question. The other user confirms that it is not necessary for the calculation and provides a helpful diagram. The conversation ends with the original poster thanking the other user for their help and wishing them a good weekend.
nblu
https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-77612.html

here's a link to the same question which has already been inquired
before by someone else.

according to the question, it asks to calculate the "actual" depth
and once I have read all the replies on that page, the author seemed to
calculate the answer. I've tried it myself and acquired the same answer.
However, I'm a little confused with the given unit "1.0m" in the question.
Is it just there to confuse the reader? because it has not been included in
any of the calculations.

Sorry for posting too many questions :(
and thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite understanding your concern. All the distances in the problem are given in meters.

Doc Al said:
I'm not quite understanding your concern. All the distances in the problem are given in meters.

oh what I meant was,
was that 1.0m necessary for calculating the final answer?

Ah... Are you referring to the statement: "She estimates that her eyes are about 1.0m above the water's surface"?

If so, then no, that fact seems irrelevant to the problem.

Your diagram looks good to me.

Doc Al said:
Your diagram looks good to me.
Thank you doc
I really appreciate your help! :)
have a good weekend

My pleasure.

What is apparent depth?

Apparent depth is the perceived depth of an object when viewed from a certain angle or through a medium, such as water or air. It may appear shallower or deeper than its actual depth due to the refraction of light.

What is actual depth?

Actual depth is the true, physical depth of an object, regardless of how it appears to the viewer. It is measured from the surface of the object to its furthest point below the surface.

How does the refraction of light affect apparent depth?

The refraction of light occurs when it passes through a medium with a different density, causing it to change direction. This can make objects appear closer or farther away, and thus affect their apparent depth.

What is the difference between apparent and actual depth?

The main difference between apparent and actual depth is that apparent depth is based on perception and can change depending on the viewing angle or medium, while actual depth is a physical measurement that remains constant.

How is the concept of apparent and actual depth used in science?

The concept of apparent and actual depth is important in various fields of science, such as optics, fluid mechanics, and geology. It helps scientists understand how light and other waves behave in different mediums and how they can affect our perception of objects.