Viewing Particle P in a Cylindrical Vessel - 40 cm Height Needed

In summary, to see the particle at the bottom of the cylindrical vessel, the water must be filled to a height of at least 40 cm.
Rightwrong
I1. Homework Statement
A cylindrical vessel whose diameter and height both are equal to 30 cm is placed on a horizontal surface and a small particle p is placed in it at a distance of 5 cm from the centre. An eye is placed at a position such that the edge of the bottom is in the plane of drawing. Upto what minimum height should water be filled in the vessel to make particle p visible?

Homework Equations

Apparent depth (d’) = real depth (d) / refractive index

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is 40 cm which is wrong.

upload_2018-6-6_13-36-47.png
[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-6_13-36-47.png
    upload_2018-6-6_13-36-47.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,142
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rightwrong said:
Apparent depth (d’) = real depth (d) / refractive index
That formula is for looking straight down, i.e. the line of vision is normal to the surface,
Apply Snell's Law instead.

haruspex said:
That formula is for looking straight down, i.e. the line of vision is normal to the surface,
Apply Snell's Law instead.

But why do the rays bend if it’s for looking straight down? Because their Sin 0 *4/3 = sin r
And r would have to be 0 so the rays wouldn’t bent then why does it appear to be raised?

sorry. I mean sin i *4/3 = sin 0
Sin i = 0
Could you please explain why that equation is used for when an object is viewed from straight above.
I'm having a problem with that equation in pther questions also.

Rightwrong said:
But why do the rays bend if it’s for looking straight down?
Your pupil has diameter. Consider, from a point object, one ray to each side of the iris. These are not quite vertical, so as they emerge will be bent just a little away from each other. Project the emerging rays back down to the point where they intersect. This will be where the object appears to be.

The calculation of apparent depth assumes these angles are small. In the problem you are given the angles are much larger.

These are not quite vertical, so as they emerge will be bent just a little away from each other.

But the lens in our eyes is convex and it converges the rays. So why will the rays bend away from each other?

Sorry I didn't get what you said earlier. The rays bend away from each otherat the surface of the liquid. Thanks for helping me out.

How do you get the answer for this question?

https://ibb.co/k0zFv8

Rightwrong said:
Sorry I didn't get what you said earlier. The rays bend away from each otherat the surface of the liquid. Thanks for helping me out.

How do you get the answer for this question?

https://ibb.co/k0zFv8
Draw a ray from the object that is a small angle θ above the horizontal. (You can draw it large for legibility but bear in mind that is in principle small.)
Show how it deviates at each interface before reaching the eye.
We can take the horizontal line as a second ray, not deviating.
Project back the final section of the first until it meets the horizontal one. That is where the object will appear to be.
Now use some geometry to relate the apparent distance to the other distances and the angles.

What is a cylindrical vessel?

A cylindrical vessel is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and straight sides that rise up to form a cylinder. It is often used in scientific experiments to contain liquids or gases.

What is particle P?

Particle P refers to a specific type of particle that is being observed in the cylindrical vessel. It could be a solid, liquid, or gas particle, depending on the experiment being conducted.

Why is the height of the vessel important?

The height of the vessel is important because it determines the volume of the vessel, which can affect the behavior and movement of particle P. It also allows for accurate measurements and observations to be made.

What is the significance of 40 cm in the experiment?

The height of 40 cm is likely a specific measurement that has been determined to be the most optimal for the experiment being conducted. It may be based on previous research or calculations to achieve the desired results.

How is particle P being viewed in the cylindrical vessel?

Particle P is most likely being viewed through a microscope or other imaging equipment that allows for magnification and observation of the particle's behavior. It may also involve using specialized lighting or techniques to enhance the visibility of the particle.