1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apparent power calculation

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    A circuit has a power factor 0.72 lagging and the power dissipated is 375w.

Determine:
    (A) Apparent power

Relevant equations:
    ohms law V = I x R
    apparent power (S) = supply voltage (Vs) x Current (I)

Attempt:
    Current =
    Voltage
    Resistance
    120v
    10Ω

= 12Amps

∴ Apparent power (S) = Supply voltage (Vs) x Current (I)
    120V x 12 Amps

= 1440 VA

I have seen another equation where it states that true power is the power dissipated at 375W therefore my second attempt which I am very unsure of as I cannot locate the stated equation within my book:

altenative attempt
    S (Apparent power) =
    P (True power)
    PF (power factor)

375W

= 520.83333

please help?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2
    The current is V/(Z+R) where Z is an unknown impedance.

This is right. I take it the question is asking for the unknown impedance Z?

I think maybe a little review of what S is will help. Suppose a sinusoidal voltage V is applied to an impedance Z. Then a current I will flow that is also sinusoidal but at some phase offset. In the time domain the voltage is Vcos(wt) and the current is Icos(wt-θ) where θ could lead or lag depending on the load.

The instantaneous power is
    P(t) = VI cos(wt)cos(wt-θ) = VI [cos2(wt)cos(θ) + sin(wt)cos(wt)sin(θ)]

The average power over a period is
    Pav = (VI/T) ∫[cos2(wt)cos(θ) + sin(wt)cos(wt)sin(θ)]dt
    = (VI)(w/(2∏)) ∫(1+cos(2wt))cos(θ)/2 dt
    = (VI)(w/2∏)cos(θ)(1/2)(2∏/w)
    = (VI/2)cos(θ)
    = VrmsIrmscos(θ)

The complex power S is defined as
    S = VI*
    where * is complex conjugate and both V and I are rms voltages.

The complex conjugate on I is taken so that the angle of S will be the difference in phase between V and I, which is what is important in the average power calculation above. If you sketch S on the complex plane, its magnitude will be |VrmsIrms| and its angle will be θ, the angle between the V and I phasors. If you take the real part of S,

Re(S) = |S|cos(θ) = VrmsIrmscos(θ)

This is the average power consumed by the load. So S projected on the real axis in the complex plane is the real power. S projected on the imaginary axis is indicative of the power being stored and released in the reactive components (this can be seen from the instant power equation above); no average power is consumed by reactive components. Over a period, energy is consumed by the reactive components and then the same amount is released; this extra current must be absorbed and supplied by the source through the cycle.

In your problem you are given the real power of 375W. This is S projected on the real axis. So the magnitude of S is 375/cos(θ) = 520.8VA as you found.

Since you now know |S|=|VrmsIrms| and you know Vrms, you also know |Irms|. Given V, |I| and information on the angle between V and I, you should be able to determine the total impedance seen by the source.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook