Calculating Apparent Semimajor Axis: A Unit Conversion Challenge

In summary, the person asked for help with a calculation, but did not provide any detail. They suspect that there was more to the question than was shown, and they believe that the original problem statement might have given the parallax reading for Procyon and the apparent angular measure of some body orbiting it. The calculation shown in the image looks simple enough, and the person was able to solve the problem using the Pythagorean theorem and the distance to Procyon in Earth's orbit.
arcTomato
Homework Statement
Lead linear size of the semi-major axis by using precision parallax
Relevant Equations
precision parallax
Hello

I think this image's calculation is wrong.
I cannot convert units(What is arcsec??How convert to pc??)

How do you think ??I would like to see your calculation process.

I'm so grad if you show.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the parallax method of distance determination?

An arcsec (arcsecond) is one sixtieth of one sixtieth of one degree. That is:
$$arcsec = \frac{1°}{60 \times 60} = \frac{1°}{3600}$$

Likes arcTomato
gneill said:
What do you know about the parallax method of distance determination?

An arcsec (arcsecond) is one sixtieth of one sixtieth of one degree. That is:
$$arcsec = \frac{1°}{60 \times 60} = \frac{1°}{3600}$$

Thank you !
I think I know,But I cannot lead 14AU again.( I lead 10455AU😭)
Could you show me a process?

arcTomato said:
Thank you !
I think I know,But I cannot lead 14AU again.( I lead 10455AU😭)
Could you show me a process?
Helpers can only give hints and suggestions, we cannot do the work for you. If you show your calculation attempts in detail then we can point out where you might have gone wrong.

I suspect that there was more to the question that you haven't shown, since there's no apparent place that the 4.1 arcsec in question B came from. I imagine that the original problem statement gave the parallax reading for Procyon and the apparent angular measure of some body orbiting it.

The calculation shown in your image looks simple enough: ##4.1 \times 3.50 = 14.3 \text{(in AU)}##

Likes arcTomato
arcTomato said:
I think this image's calculation is wrong.
To me, both calculations in the picture looks correct. Although, there is no complete explanation provided, where the parallax in the second questions comes from, it apparently points to the fact that Procyon is binary star system and it refers to the semi-major axis of this binary (Although wiki mentions value ##4.3''## instead, but this is not important - use the value you are given).

If you are not sure why the sheer multiplication of the values in ##arcsec## and ##pc## works, you can convert the values to ##rad## and ##AU## respectively, before the multiplication.

Likes arcTomato
gneill said:
Helpers can only give hints and suggestions, we cannot do the work for you. If you show your calculation attempts in detail then we can point out where you might have gone wrong.

I suspect that there was more to the question that you haven't shown, since there's no apparent place that the 4.1 arcsec in question B came from. I imagine that the original problem statement gave the parallax reading for Procyon and the apparent angular measure of some body orbiting it.

The calculation shown in your image looks simple enough: ##4.1 \times 3.50 = 14.3 \text{(in AU)}##

Wow,this is so simple!
Finally I lead 14AU.
I realize my mistake about convertion.

I'm sorry for my bad English, and I appreciate for your help!

Whan I convert all units to ##rad## and ##AU##, I can lead right answer! thank you!

But,,,,
lomidrevo said:
If you are not sure why the sheer multiplication of the values in ##arcsec## and ##pc## works,

Yes, exactly!
My pic shows that we should use ##degree## and ##maters##?? It also works??

Likes lomidrevo
arcTomato said:
Yes, exactly!
My pic shows that we should use degreedegreedegree and matersmatersmaters?? It also works??
Yes, because of the way that parsecs are defined in terms of radius of the Earth's orbit (1 AU by definition : look up the definition).

gneill said:
Yes, because of the way that parsecs are defined in terms of radius of the Earth's orbit (1 AU by definition : look up the definition).
I got it.
I have lead right answer again (in degrees) !
Thanks for your kindness!

Likes lomidrevo
Happy to help!

Likes arcTomato

What is the definition of apparent semimajor axis?

Apparent semimajor axis is a measurement used in astronomy to describe the size of an orbit. It is the average distance between the center of an orbit and its closest point to its parent body (such as a planet or star).

How is apparent semimajor axis different from true semimajor axis?

The apparent semimajor axis takes into account the effects of perspective and observer position, while the true semimajor axis is a fixed measurement based on the physical properties of the orbiting bodies.

What is the unit of measurement for apparent semimajor axis?

The apparent semimajor axis is typically measured in astronomical units (AU), which is equal to the average distance between the Earth and the Sun. It can also be measured in kilometers or miles, depending on the scale of the orbit.

How is apparent semimajor axis calculated?

Apparent semimajor axis is calculated using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its semimajor axis. This can be rearranged to solve for the semimajor axis using known values such as the planet's orbital period and parent body's mass.

Why is apparent semimajor axis important in astronomy?

Apparent semimajor axis is an important measurement in astronomy because it helps us understand the size and shape of orbits, which can provide valuable information about the properties of celestial bodies. It also allows us to track the movement and predict the future positions of these objects in space.