1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apparent Weight Elevator Speed

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Referring to the problem above, if the elevator's descending speed is measured at 10 m/s at a given point, but its speed is decreasing by 2.5 m/s2, what is her apparent weight?.
    And the problem above it was this
    A 58.0 kg girl weighs herself by standing on a scale in an elevator. What is her apparent weight when the elevator is descending at a constant speed of 10 m/s?

2. Relevant equations
    So i was able to find the answer to the first question which was 568N and found it by doing her mass times the gravity. but i have no i idea of how to do it when the speed it decreasing.

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried doing her mass times her acceleration which was 10m/s and that was wrong and so i then tried doing her mass time her deceleration of 2.5m/s/s and that was wrong as well. if you could just help with an equation that should be good enough. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Her apparent weight will be the weight due to gravity plus the force exerted on her by the lift.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    ok so i would use my initial number of 568N and add that to what? her mass times the deceleration?
    cool so i put that in and it does work, thanks man

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, force = mass times acceleration. If the elevator is accelerating upward, then you would feel g+ mass * acceleration. If the elevator is accelerating downward, then you would feel g- mass*acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?