1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Append a free integrator to a Transfer Function

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1

Alw

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    PI Design

The transfer functions represent the dynamics of a typical commercial turbofan engine between fuel flow rate [tex]\Delta[/tex]WF in pps and fan speed increment [tex]\Delta[/tex]N1 in rpm and between fuel flow rate and high-pressure turbine outlet temperature increment [tex]\Delta[/tex]T in degrees Rankine.

"Since zero steady-state error is desired, an integral control approach will be used. To simplify the process, append a free integrator to Eqs. 1 and 2 and regard the resulting transfer functions as design plants. Keep in mind that the integrator has already been included when designing your controllers."

2. Relevant equations

(1) [tex]\Delta[/tex]N1(s) / ([tex]\Delta[/tex]WF(s)) = 247.37(s+8.906) / ((s+2.855)(s+5.421))

(2) [tex]\Delta[/tex]T(s) / ([tex]\Delta[/tex]WF(s)) = 167.995(s+4.79)(s+2.075) / ((s+2.855)(s+5.421))

3. The attempt at a solution

At this point i really don't even know what a "free integrator" is, and searching my prof's notes and the internet hasn't really given me anything to work with. I'm hoping this is something of a brain fart, because this is only the first part of a very long assignment. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?