Creating Appendix Titles in LaTeX: A How-To Guide

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter philip041
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, to change the appendix layout in an article class environment, you will need to locate the article.cls file and find the line that defines the layout. You can then make changes to this line to customize the layout to your preference. To avoid altering the original file, make a copy of it with a different name and make changes to the copied file.
philip041
I have written

\begin{appendix}
\section{name1}
blah blah
\section{name2}
\subsection{name3}
\end{appendix}

It calls them 'A name1' etc, I want it to write 'Appendix A: name1'

How do I get it to do this?

My class environment is article which I don't want to change because that will change other things like the numbering.

help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to go into the style file and hack it to ensure that you get Appendix A etc..as opposed to A, B etc...

how?

philip041 said:
how?

Locate the article.cls file, find the line that defines the appendix layout, and amend it to what you want it to look like.

cristo said:
Locate the article.cls file, find the line that defines the appendix layout, and amend it to what you want it to look like.
Noooo! First, COPY article.cls to a file with a different name and a .cls extension. Then, do the hacking.

1. How do I create an appendix title in LaTeX?

To create an appendix title in LaTeX, use the command \appendix before the first appendix section. This will change the section numbering to use letters instead of numbers.

2. Can I customize the formatting of appendix titles?

Yes, you can customize the formatting of appendix titles by using the \titleformat command in the preamble of your document. This allows you to change the font, size, and style of the title.

3. How do I add multiple appendix titles in my document?

To add multiple appendix titles in your document, use the \appendix command before each appendix section. This will automatically generate a title and letter for each appendix.

4. Can I add a table of contents for my appendix titles?

Yes, you can add a table of contents for your appendix titles by using the \addcontentsline command after each appendix title. This will include the appendix title in your table of contents.

5. Are there any other tips for creating appendix titles in LaTeX?

One helpful tip is to use the \renewcommand command to change the name of the appendix section from "Appendix" to something else, such as "Supplementary Material". This can be done in the preamble of your document.