1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apple and Arrow

1. Nov 24, 2003 #1
    Another one of my pesky conservation of energy and momentum problems.

A 0.74-kg apple is tossed straight up from 1.3m above the ground with and initial speed of 7.3m/s. When it has traveled 1.5m upward it is struck by a 0.15-kg arrow which sticks in the apple. Just before the impact the arrow was traveling at a speed of 30m/s at and upward angle of 57° from the horizontal. a) What speed did the apple have just before the arrow struck it? b) What was the speed and the direction of the apple-arrow immediately after impact? c) How far from a spot directly below the apple's initial location does the apple-arrow hit the ground?

For part (a) I got v = 4.9 m/s. After that, I'm not sure what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2003 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Write an equation for momentum conservation (this ia a totally inelastic collision) in both the horizontal and vertical directions:

[itex] mv\cos(57 ^\circ) = (m + M)V_{f,x} [/itex]
    [itex] mv\sin(57^\circ) + MV_y = (m+M)V_{f,y} [/itex]

(lower case letters are for the arrow, upper case are for the apple, subscript f stands for final (for the apple-arrow); let me know if I'm being too lazy in explaining notation.)

If you know the components of the velocity of the apple-arrow and its starting position, the solution for the rest of your problem should be straightforward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?