How do I prevent bleed-through when using multiple applications on my Mac?

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential issue with the Inkscape program on a MacBook running OSX 10.5.2. The user opened Safari over Inkscape and noticed that Inkscape was still active and showing descriptions of tools and control symbols when the user hovered over them. This is unusual and the user is unsure if it is a problem with the operating system, the internet browser, or Inkscape itself. Jim suggests that it may be related to a message pump or the use of layers in Inkscape, while the user mentions that it is not a serious issue and can be easily avoided. Another user, Moonie, is not familiar with Inkscape but suggests that restarting the computer may help resolve the issue
Danger
Gold Member
This might belong in the 'Computers' forum, but I think that it might be interesting enough for GD.
I opened Safari over top of Inkscape and logged in here as usual. The weird thing is that Inkscape doesn't seem to realize that I'm not currently using it.
As with lots of other apps, it will put up a description of a tool or control symbol if I hover the cursor over it. It's still doing that, even though it shouldn't be active. While the PF pages look perfectly normal, I keep having these text boxes pop up saying stuff like 'align right sides of objects to left side of anchor' or 'create circles, ellipses, and arcs (F5)'. This never happened with anything else that I've used. I can't figure out if it's a problem with Leopard or Safari or Inkscape or what.
Anybody have a clue what's going on? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Windoze uses a message pump for all communication with the user or the system. One of the messages does a thing called set focus / lose focus. Having focus means you as a window respond to cursor over events, for example.

I guess the InkScape window did not get the message that it has lost focus.

You can also create 'transparent' windows - ones that pass information, like cursor position, to other windows that are underneath the one with focus. This is a common trick in Arc/Info GIS applications where windows present a layer -like watercourses - in what amounts to a single window. You can interact with any of the layers by getting the cursor in the right spot.

Does InkScape do the layer thing? I do not know and do not want to know about InkScape today... but. That may explain it.

Basically, IMO - one of your apps got confused or dropped a message.

Thanks, Jim.
I love that term 'Windoze'. :rofl:
Fortunately, I'm not using that. I'm in OSX 10.5.2 (Leopard) on an Intel MacBook. While I have Parallels to allow the installation of Windows, I don't have such installed.
Inkscape does use layers; it's quite similar to Illustrator.
I should point out that this isn't any kind of serious issue for me. If it gets to be too much of a pain, I'll just minimize Inkscape before opening other apps and it shouldn't happen. I was just curious as to why it happened.

I haven't had anything like that happen on either of my macs (one runs Tiger, the other Leopard). I don't have Inkscape...don't actually know what it is...so my best guess is that's the culprit, unless it just started acting up and maybe the computer needs a restart to unconfuse it.

Moonie, Inkscape is an open-source vector art programme similar to Illustrator or KeyDraw. Since none of my previous software will work on the new MacBook, I've been gathering free substitutes.

1. What is application 'bleed-through'?

Application 'bleed-through' refers to a phenomenon in which the properties or characteristics of one application affect another application in a negative way. This can occur when two applications are used in close proximity or when there is a transfer of materials between the two.

2. What causes application 'bleed-through'?

The main cause of application 'bleed-through' is the transfer of materials between applications. This can happen due to improper storage, mixing, or use of the applications. Other factors that can contribute to 'bleed-through' include environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, and chemical interactions between the applications.

3. What are the effects of application 'bleed-through'?

The effects of application 'bleed-through' can vary depending on the specific applications involved. In general, it can lead to a decrease in the effectiveness or performance of one or both applications. It may also cause unwanted side effects, such as discoloration, texture changes, or odors.

4. How can application 'bleed-through' be prevented?

Preventing application 'bleed-through' involves proper storage, handling, and use of the applications. This includes keeping them in separate containers and using different tools for each application. It is also important to follow the recommended usage instructions and avoid mixing incompatible applications.

5. Can application 'bleed-through' be reversed?

In some cases, the effects of application 'bleed-through' can be reversed by carefully removing the affected area and reapplying the applications correctly. However, this may not be possible in all situations, and prevention is the best approach to avoiding 'bleed-through' issues.

Back