Application of Burnside's Theorem, Colorings

In summary: So there are 2.5 ways to color the faces of a dodecahedron using 5 colors, up to symmetry.In summary, using Burnside's Theorem, we determined that there are 3 ways to color the faces of a cube using 3 colors, up to symmetry, and there are 2.5 ways to color the faces of a dodecahedron using 5 colors, up to symmetry. I hope this helps clarify things for you! Let me know if you have any other questions.
saubbie

Homework Statement

I have multiple problems, all dealing with Burnside's Theorem, perhaps help on one would help explain the others. How many ways may the faces of a cube be colored using 3 colors, up to symmetry of the cube. And, how many ways may the faces of a dodecahedron be colored using 5 colors up to symmetry.

Homework Equations

Burnside's Theorem: # colorings= 1/(group of symmetry)*Sum of number of fixed colorings

The Attempt at a Solution

The symmetry groups are S4 and A5 respectively. The part that I get hung up on is the number of fixed colorings. I know for the identity permutation on the cube, all colorings are fixed, but I don't know how the other rotations work. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can definitely help you with this problem! Burnside's Theorem is a useful tool for counting colorings up to symmetry, but it can get tricky when dealing with more complex shapes like a cube or dodecahedron. Let's take a look at the cube problem first.

To start, we need to determine the size of the symmetry group for a cube. The cube has 6 faces, so we have 6 rotations (identity, 90 degree rotation about each of the 3 axes, and 180 degree rotation about each of the 3 axes). We also have 8 rotations that involve flipping the cube (180 degree rotation about each of the 4 diagonals). Finally, we have 3 rotations that involve rotating the cube by 120 degrees about a face. This gives us a total of 24 rotations, which means our symmetry group is S4.

Now, for the number of fixed colorings, we need to think about how each rotation affects the coloring. For the identity rotation, all colorings will be fixed. For the 90 degree rotations, each face will be rotated to a different face, so no colorings will be fixed. For the 180 degree rotations, each face will be rotated to itself, so all colorings will be fixed. For the flips, each face will be flipped to a different face, so no colorings will be fixed. Finally, for the 120 degree rotations, each face will be rotated to a different face, so no colorings will be fixed.

Using Burnside's Theorem, we have:

# colorings = 1/24 * (6 + 0 + 6 + 0 + 0) = 1/4 * 12 = 3

So there are 3 ways to color the faces of a cube using 3 colors, up to symmetry.

Now, let's tackle the dodecahedron problem. The dodecahedron has 12 faces, so we have 12 rotations (identity, 72 degree rotation about each of the 5 axes, and 144 degree rotation about each of the 5 axes). We also have 20 rotations that involve flipping the dodecahedron (180 degree rotation about each of the 10 edges). This gives us a total of 32 rotations, which means our symmetry group is A5.

Using the same reasoning as before, we have:

# colorings

1) What is Burnside's Theorem and why is it important in colorings?

Burnside's Theorem, also known as the Cauchy-Frobenius Lemma, is a mathematical theorem that provides a method for counting the number of distinct colorings of a given object. It is important in colorings because it allows us to determine the number of distinct color patterns that can be created for a given object, taking into account symmetries and rotations.

2) How is Burnside's Theorem used in practical applications?

Burnside's Theorem has applications in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and computer science. It can be used to determine the number of distinct isomers of a molecule, the number of distinct ways to arrange a set of objects, and the number of distinct color patterns in a digital image, among others.

3) Can Burnside's Theorem be applied to any type of coloring problem?

Burnside's Theorem can be applied to any type of coloring problem that involves symmetries and rotations. It is commonly used in coloring problems involving geometric shapes, graphs, and other symmetric objects.

4) Is Burnside's Theorem limited to a specific number of colors?

No, Burnside's Theorem can be applied to any number of colors. It is not limited to a specific number and can be used for coloring problems with any number of colors, as long as the given object has symmetries and rotations.

5) What are some common misconceptions about Burnside's Theorem?

One common misconception is that Burnside's Theorem can be used to solve any coloring problem. This is not true as it is only applicable to problems involving symmetries and rotations. Another misconception is that Burnside's Theorem is only used in mathematics, when in fact it has practical applications in various fields as mentioned previously.