Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of cameras

1. Jul 13, 2008 #1
    So for a project I am asked to give examples of how cameras are used. Of course the obvious use is clear, but how else (hopefully physic involved ways) are cameras used?

Forgot to mention, my project is on photographic not digital cameras.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2008 #2

Gold Member

What is the obvious use?

How many "flavours" of this obvious use can you think of?
  4. Jul 13, 2008 #3
    To me the obvious use is to take pictures. I really can't think of anything else a photographic camera is used for...
  5. Jul 14, 2008 #4
    High speed cameras have a lot of physics-oriented applications. We use a camera for PIV (particle image velocimetry), to detect scatter IR rays.
  6. Jul 14, 2008 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This may seem odd, but have you defined what a camera "is"? For example, most people assume a camera is a lens and detector (film or digital), because that describes what most people use.

But, it's possible to have a camera with no lens (camera obscura). Or a camera that looks at 1-d lines rather than 2-d images. Or a spectroscopic camera that measures spectra rather than images.

Once you see that a camera is a generic optical system, you can come up with all kinds of applications. Time-lapse photography, real-time image processing, (static) light scattering measurements... all can be done with a simple camera.
  7. Jul 14, 2008 #6

Gold Member

Yes but: of what?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?