1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of force not acting through center of mass.

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    Hello PF!

I've got a lab on rigid body motion tomorrow, and I need help completing one of the prep questions:

A rigid body is acted on by a force F through its center of mass, and also experiences a torque caused by a similar force F at radius R. At time t, what are the linear and angular velocities of the rigid body? Show that they follow the relationship:

v = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] ω R

I understand that there is a translational as well as a rotational component to the F applied at radius R, but I'm not sure how to combine them.

I'm also unclear on whether the radius R is the radius of the body, or just the radius at which the second force is applied. But there was a previous question where R was defined as the radius of a uniform disc, so I'm leaning towards the former.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted