Application of formal methods

• Thread starter farazch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Application
In summary, the conversation is about someone studying formal methods and working on a project to convert a relational database schema into a conceptual schema. They are looking for Z/Eves code to find candidate keys and split them, and have found a helpful website with examples and tutorials to assist with their project.
farazch
Hi all,
I am doing masters and studying Formal methods.And started working on Z/Eves Z language tool.I am trying to write specifications for a sysmtem that will convert Ralational database schema into conceptual schema and i read a paper by Paul Johannesson published in 1994.In paper it gave very good method for this transformation.In one step candidate key splitting should be done.Can anyone give me z/eves code which takes the relation and find its candidate keys and split them.I defined Ralation as Schema in z/eves as

Relation
Rel: F ROW
Attr: F ANAME

For all r:ROW | r belongs to Rel . dom r.Row = Attr

I used english for z/eves tool.I am tryin to do it bt kind of a stuck.Please help me so tht i can complete my project on time.

www.farazch.byethost13.com

Technology news on Phys.org
/z_eve_code.htmlThis website has some helpful Z/Eves code examples related to Relation, Candidate Keys and Splitting. You can also find some useful tutorials on how to write Z/Eves code for your project. Hope this helps!

Hello, it sounds like you are working on an interesting project using formal methods and Z/Eves. It is great to see that you are applying your studies in a practical way. The paper by Paul Johannesson sounds like a valuable resource for your project. In order to find the Z/Eves code for candidate key splitting, you may want to consult with your professor or a more experienced user of the tool. They may be able to provide guidance or direct you to relevant resources. Additionally, you can also try reaching out to online forums or communities dedicated to formal methods and Z/Eves for assistance. Good luck with your project!

1. What are formal methods?

Formal methods are a set of mathematical techniques and tools used to design and verify computer systems, software, and hardware. They involve the use of formal languages, logic, and mathematical models to specify, develop, and analyze systems.

2. How are formal methods applied in industry?

Formal methods are used in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, healthcare, and finance. They are primarily applied in safety-critical systems, where a failure can result in serious consequences. They are also used to improve the reliability, security, and performance of software and hardware systems.

3. What are the benefits of using formal methods?

The use of formal methods can lead to higher quality and more reliable systems. By mathematically verifying the correctness of a system, potential errors and defects can be identified and corrected early in the development process. This can save time and resources and reduce the overall cost of a project.

4. What are some challenges in applying formal methods?

One of the main challenges in applying formal methods is the need for specialized skills and knowledge. It requires a thorough understanding of formal languages, logic, and mathematical models, which may not be familiar to all developers. Additionally, the use of formal methods can be time-consuming and expensive, making it difficult to incorporate them into large-scale projects.

5. Are there any limitations to formal methods?

While formal methods can be effective in detecting and preventing errors, they are not a guarantee of correctness. They are only as accurate as the specifications and assumptions used in their development. Also, formal methods may not be suitable for all types of systems, and their application may not be cost-effective for smaller projects.

Back