1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of GAUSS'S LAW

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    I am stuck on this one. I apprciate your help greatly.

A cyllindrical shape of radius 7cm and lenght 240 cm has its charge uniformly distributed on its curved surface.The magnitude of the electric field at a point 19cm radially outward from its axis (measure from the mid point of the shell) is 36.0KN/C.Find the net charge on the shell.

PLZ show me the light. the part that says 19cm from the axis sounds fishy

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2
    What have you done so far? Any thoughts at all? What's wrong with the 19 cm from the axis bit? Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

4. Mar 3, 2005 #3

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gauss's law will only give an approximate answer for a cylinder of finite length. However, that may be good enough for your purposes here.

How can you use Gauss's law to find the electric field at any distance from the cylinder's axis? Have you done that, yet?

5. Mar 3, 2005 #4
    well, i found the electric field to be...

E= (2KQ)/(Lr) but they want me to solve for Q not for E so...

Q= (ERL)/(2K) --------> Q=(36x10^3)(.19m)(2.40m) / (2)(9x10^9)

Q=9.12x10^-7

i did this but could you double check. i checked in the back of the book, answer is correct but i am not sure if this is the right wa to do it bcause sometimes I get the right answer but not doin it the way it is supposed to.

6. Mar 3, 2005 #5

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks ok to me. Of course, I don't know how you arrived at your first expression...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?